sample looping

Mitch_Boothey17

I'm using the Ultrabeat in a channel strip as a sampler at the moment in my live set up and i was wondering if there was a way after i have loaded a sample (e.g. vocals, or guitar riff) into it's designated position or note is there a way i can have it loop continuously and then hit that note again to stop it. I'm kind of looking for the same affect a hold button has on stand-alone samplers.

I'm using the Ultrabeat in a channel strip as a sampler at the moment in my live set up and i was wondering if there was a way after i have loaded a sample (e.g. vocals, or guitar riff) into it's designated position or note is there a way i can have it loop continuously and then hit that note again to stop it. I'm kind of looking for the same affect a hold button has on stand-alone samplers.

Sure, but if you want to do that, you should use the Playback plug-in in MainStage 2.0. It easily triggers files of any length and can loop as long as you like.

Ultrabeat can do it, sort of, but its not really what its made to do and its cumbersome to setup.

Yes, there are two ways, depending on whether or not you want your Ultrabeat instance to be slaved to the internal timeline (i.e., have multiple Ultrabeat and Loopback instances). The synced way only works in MainStage 2.

In both cases you should go to layout mode and drag in a button. You can assign it to some external midi hardware if you want.

* Note that if in layout mode you assigned the hardware to something in the "momentary" category, then in edit mode you will see an additional checkbox that says "momentary behavior." If you check this box, then you will be able to press the button to start and when you release the button, it will stop.

If you don't want it to be synced:

1. Go to the patch with Ultrabeat

2. Map the parameter to Ultrabeat > Sequencer Play/Stop

3. Set Button On: to Play and Button Off to Stop

4. Now when you press the button it will play and if you press it again it will stop

If you want them to be synced:

1. Open up the Ultrabeat plugin instance. Make sure pattern mode (along the very bottom of the plugin window) is off

2. Map the button to Actions > Play/Stop

3. Now when you press the button it will start the internal sequencer and if you press it again it will stop the internal sequencer, this sequencer syncs all of the Ultrabeat and Loopback instances that have their pattern/sync mode set properly.

As a side note, the other cool thing is that if you have them synced, you can actually create Ultrabeat instances in different patches, and then as long as the internal transport is running, you can switch between patches and the different Ultrabeat instances stay in sync to the measure and beat (at least in version 2 they do). This allows you to mix beats while live from different Ultrabeat instruments by simply switching back and forth between patches.