Rewiring mainstage 2 into ableton live

thebenallen

So I just picked up Logic Studio 9 all excited because it boasted "full Rewire support!" only to find that you can only actually use it as a Rewire master. This is extremely upsetting to me because this was really the only new feature I was excited about, because I want to be able to sync Ultrabeat to ableton's master clock. The reason why it has to be ableton's clock is that I use the session view, which allows you to launch a "scene" full of loops and you can program each of these scenes to have it's own time signature and tempo. Ideally, ultrabeat would be able to sync to ableton's clock. So is there anyway to do this or am I completely SOL?

I was able to rewire the 2 with soundflower .. using live as the master .. Logic had too much latency but mainstage worked fine I want to have a live looping rig .. with mainstage amps and pedals feeding Live 8s looper..( the mainstage looper doesnt work well for me) I use a Behringer fcb1010 to control Lives looper .. the problem I have now is it works on my Intel iMac but I want to use it on my powerbook g4 .. w/out Logic .. not sure how and if it will work .. may be too much for the g4

So is there anyway to do this or am I completely SOL?

Sounds like you're SOL to me to do exactly what you want, however you can give mainstage patches their own tempo and time signature, so if you can setup your ableton scenes as mainstage patches then you're good to go.

So is there anyway to do this or am I completely SOL?

Sounds like you're SOL to me to do exactly what you want, however you can give mainstage patches their own tempo and time signature, so if you can setup your ableton scenes as mainstage patches then you're good to go.

This is basically what I was thinking as an alternative. I just didn't even feel like struggling with it.

And you are using Mainstage 2? The problem with soundflower is that it doesn't do anything with MIDI clock, which is my main problem here. Could you try to use Ultrabeat's sequencer and see if it is sync with Ableton's clock?

Assuming Ableton can send midi clock (I would presume so), then you could (theoretically) tempo sync the two using the IAC driver. I just tried it syncing the clock in mainstage to Logic's tempo and it worked well.

You can put the IAC driver online from within the audio / midi setup utility. Simply select it as the output for midi clock in Ableton, and then as your midi input to receive tempo from in Mainstage. I think time signature would need to be set within Mainstage.

Mainstage also does not seem to respond to MMC messages, but you can always just put midi notes in Ableton to send over to Ultrabeat in order to trigger the necessary loops and what not...