Software Instruments in MS2 confusion

Tony in NY

I just upgraded to MS2. The first thing I noticed after calling up a concert is in the way you choose software instruments. Instead of a drop-down menu, a Plug-in library list forms under Software Instrument Channel Strip Inspector. This is convenient, except for the fact that all my instrument plug-ins that didn't come with Logic- do not show up on the list! But they do show up if you very slowly right click on the channel strip - took me 20 minutes to figure that one out - talk about feeling like an idiot. If you don't SLOWLY right click, the list does not come up. I'm totally confused.

I just upgraded to MS2. The first thing I noticed after calling up a concert is in the way you choose software instruments. Instead of a drop-down menu, a Plug-in library list forms under Software Instrument Channel Strip Inspector.

There is a patch browser (when the patch is selected) and a channel strip browser (if a specific channel strip is selected). The patch browser shows patches (duh!) and channel strips (on the bottom of the patch list in their own folders)

This is convenient, except for the fact that all my instrument plug-ins that didn't come with Logic- do not show up on the list!

Your own patches should be saved in:

~/Library/Application Support/MainStage Patches

Your own channel strips should be saved in:

~/Library/Application Support/Channel Strip Settings/Instruments (for instrument channel strips)

~/Library/Application Support/Channel Strip Settings/Track (for audio channel strips)

etc. - just like Logic organizes the factory content.

If you store them there, the browser will show them!

But they do show up if you very slowly right click on the channel strip - took me 20 minutes to figure that one out - talk about feeling like an idiot. If you don't SLOWLY right click, the list does not come up. I'm totally confused.

It is not a "slow click", it is either a _long_ click or a simple right click (control-click) to get that menu. That is the same in Logic for a long time and also like MainStage 1.