Why do these songs sound alike to me?

Sometimes I'll hear a song for the first time and am struck by how much like another song it is. For example, "Mercy" by Duffy. I didn't know the name of that song for at least six months because all I could hear was "Stand By Me". But that one was blatant. I know exactly why they sound alike (it's cause they're actually the same song...shhh!).

Another example, "Like You'll Never See Me Again". It took me a while to figure out what I was hearing, but then one day I realized it was "Diamonds And Pearls" by Prince. And for the most part I know why.

Here's the one I don't get. There's a song called "On The Ocean" by an R&B singer named K'Jon. That song sounds a lot like "Lost Without You" by Robin Thicke to me, but I can't figure out why. Can somebody tell me?

On The Ocean

5CiK8Kcz1r0

Lost Without You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aVu-v7I514

Well, I think there are multiple answers.

* Straight copycat:ing, either deliberate or by mistake, remembering a melody that actually someone heard before, assuming it's once' own.

* Using the same loops in the productions, so the background sounds kind of the same.

* Lack of originality, especially if we are dealing with musical styles with narrow melody ranges (metal, rap and so on...)

* As in the Western music system we have 12 semitones, there's a limit to how many kinds of variations you could achieve over time. At least there's more than in medieval church music!

This is the main reason I do think musicality and originality will be the key ingredients for future musicians and artists -- anyone could make beats, few could make good songs.

Fair enough, but I mean the question in a more literal rather than conceptual sense. Musically, technically, harmonically, what is similar about these songs?

I'm looking for a trained ear...

You could analyze songs based on chord progressions in combinations with musical melodies. That's the starting point to train your ear.

I'm sure it would be.

But I sincerely hope that you realize that that response in no way answers my question. Neither the original nor the amended. Still looking for that trained ear...

I really recommend to train your own ear -- it's good, for example if you are in a band and someone tells you to play along, or if you need to learn 20+ covers as a substitute musician or something similar.

You have to start somewhere, those two songs is a good starting point.

Ok, I'll bite. Same key and tempo for both with acoustic guitar syncopating in each song. One employes a 2-3-3-3-3-2 repeating syncopation while the Thicke song is a shorter 3-2-3 syncopation. Soft Jazzy chords throughout both.

Different chord progressions for each but I'd say the above is mostly what makes them sound the same and the fact that they're both "soft" sounding songs.

Oh, and they're both about Luuuuv, right? "my ship is coming in"... Brilliant metaphor! Thicke gets points off for the typical overuse of "baby" to describe his sex princess. Looks pretty bl...bl....blown away at the end there, poor guy. :lol: