Using multiple MIDI controllers

calmchaos

Hi,

I'm a DJ and producer and and I'm trying to integrate my keyboard and drum machine into my DJ set. I love Mainstage and use it pretty often in performing.

Here's the issue: For DJing I use a Numark NS7, which is a USB controller and audio unit built into one. I'm running the audio out from my Macbook Pro into the Aux channel of my NS7, which works great for the keyboard. However, Mainstage is recognizing the NS7 as a MIDI controller, and when the turntables start going, the MIDI goes crazy. I want to use the NS7 as an audio unit but don't want Mainstage to accept any incoming MIDI from it. Is it possible to disable that somehow in Mainstage? I went into the MIDI Setup as well but was not able to change any settings on my NS7. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

I have a similar issue with mainstage 2. I'm using Live in conjunction with Mainstage and even though I have my APC 40 assigned to nothing in Mainstage, any time I touch a slider, all of the volume sliders in Mainstage will move at the same time. Mainstage 1 didn't do this

Assign it to a workspace object and it is done.

I have a similar issue with mainstage 2. I'm using Live in conjunction with Mainstage and even though I have my APC 40 assigned to nothing in Mainstage, any time I touch a slider, all of the volume sliders in Mainstage will move at the same time. Mainstage 1 didn't do this

You mean assign the APC40 to something in the workspace, like a slider or knob?

You mean assign the APC40 to something in the workspace, like a slider or knob?

Yes, every MIDI device should either have a keyboard object or a MIDI Activity LED (which acts the same way) in the layout mode, because these objects are the _input_ for the channel strips in Edit mode. If you don't do that, MainStage simply listens to everything.

I tried to do this but still to no avail. It is strange, because I have an Akai MPK 49 and an APC40 that are running to Ableton and Mainstage (which are rigged together via Jack OSX and IAC clock), and when I patch the MPK49 through to the keyboard, all of the volume sliders move, whereas when I turn it off, only one slider moves. I wish I could just disable Mainstage from picking up data from the APC40

I tried to do this but still to no avail. It is strange, because I have an Akai MPK 49 and an APC40 that are running to Ableton and Mainstage (which are rigged together via Jack OSX and IAC clock), and when I patch the MPK49 through to the keyboard, all of the volume sliders move, whereas when I turn it off, only one slider moves. I wish I could just disable Mainstage from picking up data from the APC40

Please read the manual, you can - of course - have two controllers and each do different things.

• 2 weeks later...
But if I delete it from Audio MIDI setup then it won't be picked up in ableton I don't think. The thing is, I have assigned it to nothing. I want the APC40 to have absolutely zero function in Mainstage. I tried assigning it to an object but that didn't stop it from picking up undesired messages. I think it is because Mainstage is picking up General Midi commands that are part of the APC 40's internal programming

Have you gone over all the on-screen controls in Layout mode, and looked at their "Hardware Input - Device" settings? Are any of them still set to "All" or to the APC40?

Maybe this is obvious, but it is not exactly clear to me whether you performed this essential step.

Have you gone over all the on-screen controls in Layout mode, and looked at their "Hardware Input - Device" settings? Are any of them still set to "All" or to the APC40?

Maybe this is obvious, but it is not exactly clear to me whether you performed this essential step.

definitely did this

• 3 weeks later...