MS2 long delay responding to notes played

jagalactic

I recently upgraded to MS2 on my macbook. I had been using MS1 for a fairly complex virtual instrument rig for live work with a Pink Floyd tribute band. That works (MS1), with the caveat that I have to check EVERY patch prior to a gig, because sometimes they don't all work. If a patch failed to work, restarting MS1 would usually fix the problem.

So far every time I've loaded MS2, it eventually becomes unresponsive to notes played. If a note sounds at all, it is several seconds late - perhaps 10 seconds. This is hard to measure, because sometimes notes don't sound at all. It remains unresponsive like this for a period of time (perhaps 1-5 minutes) and then typically "comes back".

The last time it did this, I was playing a part that included both notes and pitch bend movements for an EXS24 instrument. It seemed like it may have stuck on a pitch bend movement.

This is a 2.16Ghz macbook (fall 2007) with 4GB RAM (it can use 3.3 of this), with an Apogee duet and a Novation Remote Zero as control surface and midi input from a Yamaha S90 keyboard. MS does not appear to be out of memory or using all of the cpu.

Surely I can't be the only one seeing this. Anybody?

Thanks,

John

Can't answer as to CPU load, because it hasn't happened again. I turned off Auto-Save, because that seemed like a possible culprit.

Just go to "Perform" or "Full screen" mode, that will make sure MainStage is actually in live mode, e.g. MainStage will not do auto-save.

• 1 month later...

Woohoo - it looks like mainstage 2.0.1 has fixed this issue. I surmised that it happened during auto-save, and turned off auto-save. But then each time I did a save I had time to go for a cup of coffee because it would go catatonic for 5 minutes or more.

2.0.1 does not introduce long save delays for me.

TTFN