recommendations for controllers

shaneblyth

i have a single keyboard controller that has a number of sliders and knobs but nothing in the way of switches .. well just 2. I need to add another controller, either a footswitch or something i can put on the controller keyboard that has mainly switches i can allocate in MS2.(i dont mean a controller that is an actually keyboard) I am only using mainstage to play keyboards not guitars thru and may use the new backing track feature from time to time if the bass player or drummer is unavailable at gigs. What do people recommend i use I have no idea what the best setup is or whats available out there..

Thanks

I am quite happy with my Korg NanoKontrol, which I use at home. It has 24 buttons, which can very easily be assigned in Mainstage. But it is perhaps just a bit too small and flimsy and has too many additional sliders and knobs for your stage use. It is not very expensive though, so it might be worth a try.

I have been investigating MIDI foot controllers as well lately, mainly to control Loopback/Playback, and for controlling Pedalboard and Guitar Amp Pro. I think a foot controller would be much better suited to make switches in Mainstage while playing. Starting and stopping Loopback to the rhythm of my playing is not possible when my hands are occupied on the keyboard or guitar. With Playback, this might be less of an issue, perhaps.

The foot controllers I have been looking into are the Yamaha MFC10, the Roland FC-300 and the Behringer FCB1010. I have not seen any of these yet in person, and like you I would be curious about the experiences of people who have one of these, or some alternative, and use them in combination with Mainstage.