New hidden feature, Logic 9 plug ins parameters order

lostmemories

Hi, it's now possible in Logic 9 to describe the order of each parameters for editing a plug-ins with a surface control or MIDI controller. Inside each "Plug-In Settings" folder, there is a new file named "CSParameterOrder.plist" which indicate the order of parameters.

I tested by modifying the file for the ES1 synth, and it works, now when editing it I have the new order I indicate inside the file.

It's not documented for moment, and there is no other way to modify the order by editing directly the file, but I think there will be a best way to do this in a future update, very interesting when using a control surface !

Yep - I posted more info on your post:

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46943

It works with third-party instruments! Awesomeness!

This means now you can reorder (for convenience) and/or delete plugin parameters from your control surface displays.

I've wanted this feature for a *long* time.

This is great - you could set up *all* your instruments to have a standard setup of plugin parameters (say, filters on first page of controls, then envelopes, then oscillators). Or just remove parameters that get in the way that you never need to tweak via your knobs.

Or just reorder the parameters so things are grouped together in a logical way.

(I seldom want all (often *hundreds* or more) of parameters displayed for my instruments, I just want the standard quick-tweak stuff for the most part, oscillators, envelopes, filters and a few other things.)

Will take some time to set up, especially with a lot of plugins, but it's a thing you tackle bit by bit over time. You could also potentially store different "sets" of parameter orderings in backup copies of the plist files.

I say again - Awesomeness!

Hi, it's now possible in Logic 9 to describe the order of each parameters for editing a plug-ins with a surface control or MIDI controller. Inside each "Plug-In Settings" folder, there is a new file named "CSParameterOrder.plist" which indicate the order of parameters.

I tested by modifying the file for the ES1 synth, and it works, now when editing it I have the new order I indicate inside the file.

It's not documented for moment, and there is no other way to modify the order by editing directly the file, but I think there will be a best way to do this in a future update, very interesting when using a control surface !

What do you mean by 'a new order?'

Why would you need to edit anything?

What if I want to 're-order' the Chorus?

When you hit instrument or plugin editing mode with a control surface, Logic displays the parameters on the screen.

In the case of, say, the Mackie Control, you get pages of 8 parameters, corresponding to the 8 knobs.

Now, if your filter cutoff control was on page 1, and your filter resonance control was on page 16, it's kinda tricky to tweak them at once.

This feature allows you to remove or reorder parameters, so rather than having them allocated in the order the plugin reports the parameters to Logic, you can choose your own configuration.

Maybe you don't want all the (possibly hundreds) of parameters to come up on the control surface? Maybe you want just the main filter, oscillator and envelope controls in an "easy" configuration?

Maybe you are always tweaking the threshold and ratio parameters on your favourite compressor but need to keep jumping between different parameter set pages?

Maybe you never want to have the "Advanced Sub-Oscillator keyboard Scaling Track Sub Amount" parameter be available on your control surface?

Maybe you want to redo the layouts so you get a consistent set of parameters across *all* your instruments (parameter 1 filter cutoff, parameter 2 filter resonance, etc etc)..?

You can do all these things now. This is so far the single best LP9 feature for me, and is one I've wanted for a long time.

If you don't use a control surface, it's not a feature you will use or need.

(Note - a generic MIDI fader box is not a control surface. A control surface is one of the supported control surfaces in Logic. Or you can use LC Xmu for some things (which I do, and because it emulates a Mackie Control, it works just fine - in fact, I tested the plugin reordering with a Korg MicroKontrol via LC Xmu and it works awesome!)

I see.

What are the precautions one should take before changing the list. Save the original to a safe place, just in case?

Instead of touching the original file in the system library, you can copy it to the same emplacement in your user library folder, and modify it, Logic take always the file in the user folder in priority. In this case, when you want the default setting for an plug, just trash the file that you have in your user emplacement.

• 2 months later...

Wow - very cool!

Can the Mackie/Logic Control Universal protocol this advantage of this? (IE: does MCU have any kind of automap functionality for plugins?)

I don't really know how Mackie Control Universal works, so this may be a dumb question, but if it does work, then this could be a game changer... just use an MCU emulator and it would be feasible to automap with any generic midi controller (in my case an MPK49)... that would be most desirable!

I'm guessing that its probably not possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has come across any 3rd party software that opens up this automap functionality for generic midi controllers... (if it doesn't exist... it really should!)

Thoughts?

• 6 months later...
Rather than re-order all the parameters, why not just select the parameters you want to tweak most often in the LEARN MODE part of Logic's Controller preferences and assign those to specific V-Pots - kind of like learning buttons with Novation's Automap ? Am I missing something ? All functions in logic are assignable to all controllers, no ?

• 1 month later...

Instead of touching the original file in the system library, you can copy it to the same emplacement in your user library folder, and modify it, Logic take always the file in the user folder in priority. In this case, when you want the default setting for an plug, just trash the file that you have in your user emplacement.

great,thanks a lot,this is the part that i didn't get yet.

that's probably the reason it didn't work with the esx-24 plist that i modified,and didn't put in the user library folder. :D :D

• 6 months later...
Just bought an Axiom Pro and discovered the mappings are total B.S

Someone kindly pointed me towards this thread.

Going to attempt to make these mappings manually. Was curious, does anyone have the file to share with logic Parameters setup already?

hi,

in case you didn't know, it is very easy to do with PlistEdit Pro(from Fat Cat software).basically it's just drag and drop.

it makes controlling plugins WAY more efficient and fun.

regarding mappings,i could send you some of mine if you're interested.

although i must say that the way stuff is mapped really depends on the individual and his/her particular workflow.

pm me if you're interested.

• 1 month later...
in case you didn't know, it is very easy to do with PlistEdit Pro(from Fat Cat software).basically it's just drag and drop... it makes controlling plugins WAY more efficient and fun.

Thanks for the tip 33tetragammon

I downloaded PlistEdit Pro app from the Apple site... worked so cool, drag and drop, as you say! :wink:

Opened Compresor factory "Plist" (from the appropriate "System" folder), made those order changes I wanted (by drag/drop in the upper window; changes are automatically updated in the lower window script), then "save as" in the appropriate "User" folder. :D

Opened Logic songfile... opened Compresor on my "MC Control" unit, and everything was hunky-dory. :wink:

• 1 year later...