Consolidation (Pro Tools) - Seeking Logic Equivalent

lincolnk

I think the simple answer to your question is this:

NO there is no feature in Logic which does exactly what protools does when you press Shift+Option+3. It JUST doesn't exist. So I guess you'll just have to work around it.

I'm also not being a prick about this, people were just suggesting other ways of doing this, as the actual command you're looking for just does not exist in Logic.

spot on. workarounds are necessary and its good for people to share them. people just need to recognise them as workarounds, and understand that as you said there isnt a directly comparable function in logic. there is nothing more frustrating when you first switch to logic than people jumping up and down telling you the feature is there when it flat out isnt. unfortunately people still dont get it though, cause the first post after yours was:

consolidate in pro tools is bounce to track in logic 9, at least for me it is. inserts silence and lines up at 0. great for making them ready for import into another daw (if you must)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i give up. free bird.

why dont you just select the green cycle bar at the top from bar 1 and press bounce? this will put blank space before your files. when you press consolidate in pro tools it could just as easily say 'bounce'. it takes the same amount of time for logic to bounce the file as it does pro tools to consolidate it. use the green bar, its simple

spot on. workarounds are necessary and its good for people to share them. people just need to recognise them as workarounds, and understand that as you said there isnt a directly comparable function in logic. there is nothing more frustrating when you first switch to logic than people jumping up and down telling you the feature is there when it flat out isnt.

That's very common. Everyone looks at a particular feature in context with their workflow and needs. I've used Pro Tools for years and have occasionally used the consolidate feature, but never in the same workflow context that you've stated you do. That would be a very rare need for me. Primarily, since Consolidate doesn't include insert plug-ins and their automation, it's often of little use to me.

If I'm collaborating with someone else, there's no need anymore to export a track from the beginning. Broadcast Wave files are time-stamped and selecting all the regions for a track, then converting them to new wav files named after the track, (often more descriptively) is, in my opinion, a much better method. The regions are still separated and can be moved easily, or returned to their original time-stamp position with a simple command. Unless I'm dealing with a video editor that is a complete audio idiot, (not uncommon) this method is great. But then in that case I'm usually doing a track export which includes plug-ins with their automation.

I'm not diminishing the Consolidate feature, it can be useful. Just saying that it has its limitations too, and isn't really very useful in many workflow contexts. Would it be nice to have it as a feature in Logic? Sure, but I'm not going to lose any sleep waiting for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know ProTools, but I really think Bounce - Replace All Tracks is pretty darn close to what you describe. The first time you will face a dialog with 2 check boxes and a pop-up menu. Check Bypass All Plugins, uncheck Include Volume/Pan Automation, and select Normalization Off. You only have to do this one time, Logic will remember your settings.

You'll get new audio files all starting at the start, named after the track, in place. You can then open the Bin (press B), select unused (Shift U), then choose Edit>Delete, which will move the old, unused files to the trash. You're left with a clean project and its Audio folder contains just the files you want.

The only gripe is that you really have to do all tracks, you can't deselect tracks that don't need consolidation. Of course, that also means fewer steps.

i agree with david a completely. and i hate protools and only own it to deal with importing and exporting situations with other artists. i have used logic for years, and have always dealt with this same problem, and the same explanation from logic heads who never have to deal with the world outside of it. and i mean no offense.

the current means of exporting tracks, even the "bounce in place", which i am a big fan of, wish i had it a year ago, and why wasn't it there in the first place...blah blah blah...

but without going on to long here, there is a simple elegance to the PT method which would take all of ten minutes for the apple guys to code. its not complicated. its not groundbreaking, and it's certainly not propriety.

the pt method involves less possible f***ups. and we all know, or soon will know, that any introduction of a possible mistake (checking wrong box etc), will happen when you least need it. It never does not happen,

I appreciate logic and use it every day. i write and produce in it. but i also know full well that most of the outside world does not use it and i have to give them files in a means they CAN use, and this consolidate issue would be one that could help a great deal, despite the stubborness of the logic programmers. they don't HAVE to make it their way or the highway. we want to use their product. we really do, and we want to be able to WORK WITH IT, and when you can't , you find other means.

we keep hearing about broadcast wav's being timestamped, etc, but seriously, really, do you trust the 2nd engineer at the studio you are sending stuff to for a mix get that right?

its one more step(at least), and hard drive space is cheap, and broadband is, well, at least quicker then it used to be..

make it simple stupid. and cosolidate is simple. we don't need 8 different ways to do it that all introduce possible problems.

that may not be the logic way, but that's the way the rest of the world works.

I've read this with much interest. And (David Aurora) you're correct when you say that I probably do not appreciate the "Consolidate" feature, that Pro-Tools offers. I have worked along side Pro-Tools rigs, with someone who knows the program, but I work in Logic.

I am hoping you'll consider posting something in the "new features request" forum.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=24

Thanks

Edited by Nublu