major or minor key? (SOLVED)

jamie8286

I know how to work out what key a track is in ie a major or minor. But i have a problem i have a track that i have started making that has a route note of A# and is repeated 4 times through the bar so no note change i have added a pad sound which is also in A# as this is a variation of the original sound.

My question is how do i decide which way to go with the track minor or major if i havnt wrote any other notes in yet to work that out. Does major and minor apply to different styles of music ie sad=minor major=happy? Im making a drum and bass track and think i remember reading somewhere that most drum and bass tracks are in minor keys.

Or should i just crack on and see if i can get another part to fit and work it out from there?

cheers Jamie

Edited by jamie8286

Major or minor is function of tonality,not style.

You'd be better seeing that A# as a Bb or you'll get into enharmonic hell if it's major (C## and so on).

If the pad is a chordal sound the decision may already have been made.

Pick out a tune you think fits,and if it's constantly got Dbs rahter than Ds then it's minor,and vice versa).

cool yep i get you, i now understand about the A# needing to be seen as Bb in minor from your last post. thanks

Yes the sound is a chord pad sound but it was made by having the chord memoriser turned on on my nord lead 3 so i only pressed the Bb and it created the cord for me

If the pad is a chordal sound the decision may already have been made.

does this mean that i could work out the major/minor of the chord sound using the notes of this chord if i can work them out? And then translate that into the rest of the project some how?

thanks

yep got you thanks and iv just worked out how to know get near the notes of the cord sound on the setting on the nord lead it said there was 6 keys played and gave me the numbers 0/24/26/27/31/34 0 being the lowest note played. So i play a few of my own to see where the spacing was 1 octave = 12 of the numbers SO i assumed the 0 would be C1 and from it got the notes.

C1-C3-D3-D#3-G-A#

i transposed this to

A#1-A#3-C3-C#3-F3-G#3

AND IT SOUNDS PERFECT :P all new pad sounds i put in go perfectly with the other cord sound well happy!!!!!

and that got me to this

Bb-MINOR

W H W W H W W

Bb-C-Db-Eb- F- Gb Ab-Bb

pritty sure thats right?

That is really great i didnt know anything about this yesterday and was struggling for ideas on this track im doing now i can instantly put sounds in and they work a lot of the time also corrected one of the main notes that was in my bassline needed to be on the normal note not the flat, thanks a lot beer moth for your time you the man 8)

definitely going to get more involved with the theory side of things now its opened new doors for me wish id have done it sooner.

cheers Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Get yourself a chord wheel.

It is a really good tool for learning theory. It is set up as a circular grid and is a great visual aid for understanding a lot of the concepts you have discussed in this thread. It is also very helpful for transposing material and can also be used to determine what key a particular piece is played in. I break mine out often and always find it useful.

That being said while it is a very good tool it will not tell you everything you need to know but if you are just starting out with theory it can be a big help.