Please post your working setup with LP 9.0.1

Ashermusic

Well, I'm having a pretty good time. I have not taxed the program with a monster project with 50 tracks or what have you yet, but I have been working on a short promo film this week with very few problems.

I use a lot of VIs.

LASS Strings, Vienna, RMX, Omnisphere, Superior 2.0, OWD. Plus usually one of Logics pianos and maybe a couple of oddball sounds here and there from Logic.

Now sometimes I do get a "You are running low memory, please avoid adding more plug ins" type messages from time to time, but I just bounce in place and don't see the message anymore after dumping the plug. I usually have a few guitar tracks going as well using Logics new guitar stuff, as well as several audio tracks of live acoustic guitar and direct bass.

I was unsure about using L9 on this project (which has a deadline) so I did some cues in PT LE. I had more problems in LE than in L9. So overall, knock on wood, L9 has been OK so far. Once you get used to Offline Bouncing and Bounce in Place PT is very slow going;)

System is:

Mac Pro Dual 2.8

8g Ram

MBox II Pro Interface (yikes, I know)

I have a simple system and my projects vary from 20 to 30 tracks (audio and virtual instruments, mostly exs24). I update all my software ASAP. I have no third party plugins.

I am having no problems except one with some logic 8 projects at a sampling rate of 96k opened in Logic 9 and 9.0.1 where i get sync issue with core audio playing at a strange sample rate around 22000. I haven't quite figured out the pattern yet. I just reset the core audio by changing the buffer size and everything is smooth after. I'm having a very good time!

OK, count me as the third....

I tend to use a lot of Kontakt instances in my projects. Before Logic 9 and Snow Leopard I'd usually hit the 4GB limit with 6 to 8 Kontakts and ended up either bouncing a lot of inst. tracks - or worse, simply crashing. But now things are very different.

Now it could be mainly thanks to the recent Kontakt 3.5 update (4 gig barrier-breaker) that I'm getting a more rapid workflow (18 instances last project!). But something I have really noticed more in L9's favour is how I can leave a project un-played for hours overnight... and next day it's all still working fine. Previously, I'd get a "disk too slow" message, everything suddenly stopping when there's too much in the buffer... but I haven't seen that happen whatsoever lately.

The only slight setback I've had so far was on a recalled L9 project, which had all the crossfades on 8 vocal tracks badly messed up (digital glitches on the fades). I had closed project "A", opened project "B", and then went back to "A" again when it happened. Guessing it was a buffer issue, and thanks to the new track import feature, I brought each track into an empty project and everything was instantly back to normal again. No glitches. Bounced in place, then put the new audio bounces back in project "A".

As a conclusion I'm very happy, and feel this is the most solid version of Logic so far - but that's just my opinion, based upon my own individual workflow... others such as those that rely more heavily on the audio side of things may disagree.

My projects are all very simple and audio-based. The only 3rd party plugs I'm using currently are PSP Vintagewarmer 2 and Xenon, and the Waves Musicians 2 bundle. OSX 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) and Logic 9.0.1, and an Apogee One, with the latest driver and firmware update. My computer is an MBP 2.4gHz with 4 gigs RAM.

Overall my experience has been pretty good, though I've noted some tweakiness here and there. The audio engine though not Logic shuts down if I switch between mono and stereo on the master buss, the One's popup display (the one that's supposed to come up when you change settings on the mic or output levels) doesn't, though the levels do change, and one of the channels cuts out when opening a project that has a cycle region selected; toggling off cycle mode and beginning playback from the beginning of the project will restore things to normal, and then you can toggle cycle back on. Nothing to bring anything I'm doing to a screaming halt, but it is just enough to make me hesitate to recommend the same setup to anybody just yet. FWIW, I didn't notice these issues with 10.5.8. That'll teach me to update the OS. :cry:

I'm working on my first track after updating and so far things are working wonderfully. I really love the upgrade. I'm at 27 tracks of midi and audio. Haven't wired in my external synth rack yet. And still have all vocals to do except a scratch. Have used Flex extensively an all seems "as advertised." What an amazing gift Flex is for keyboard player who insist on doing his own guitar work. The 3rd party plugins i have are all working fine.

Here's a list:

Synthogy Ivory v1.72

Toontrack SD2 2.2

Wavearts Trackplug, Finalplug, MultiDynamics... all v5.40

Execution, memory, and cpu are asusual

I'm only a part-time composer and my projects rarely go above 16-17 tracks. I have zero problems with 9. 9.0.1, i can't tell as i didn't do anything yet with it except to test if all was alright. So, my kit is a mac mini 1.83 C2D with 2 gb ram and an external drive. My plugs are Arturia Cs80 and Moog Modular, NI FM8 and Pro-53, both Korg Legacy Coll., BBE D82. They're all working well and i'm surprised how many synths i can use with that little computer!! So, i'm no power user but i never have any crashes or beach balls. I often work for a good hour sometimes without saving.

I don't know if I should be counted here (G5 Quad user), but I would like to chime in to help you out, Jay ... perhaps anyone else that may need it.

I had nothing but heartache when I installed 9.0.1. Especially 3rd party stuff like EastWest Play. All sorts of crashes, weird screen glitching, etc. I went back to 9.0.0 and everything's hunky dory again.

My machine's not supposed to be supported, so I figured there's no point in mentioning anything. :?

am (mostly) ok. some weirdness in 9.0 seems gone in 9.0.1 (ie seeing my harddrive name for EVERY plugin!).

a few crashes, but overall am enjoying 9.0.1 on 10.6.1...

EDIT!! and now, logic keeps quitting. i play a few measures, and it crashes.

no error message, just...gone.

ah well, troubleshooting time, and disregard my happier words from minutes earlier... :cry:

EDIT2: deleted prefs, trying again...and crashes. aaargh!

Edited by fisherking

I wonder if the secret to stability is just to keep memory use low (in some cases, lower than with L8 unfortunately), by either not using too many tracks/instruments, or bouncing and disabling instruments when memory is high?

I'd be curious what sort of results people with stable setups on modest sessions see when pushing Logic harder.

Thanks for the thread, I'd love to figure out why some people are seeing better results so I can hopefully improve stability and performance on my system (MP 8 core/12gigs ram).

I don't know if I should be counted here (G5 Quad user), but I would like to chime in to help you out, Jay ... perhaps anyone else that may need it.

I had nothing but heartache when I installed 9.0.1. Especially 3rd party stuff like EastWest Play. All sorts of crashes, weird screen glitching, etc. I went back to 9.0.0 and everything's hunky dory again.

My machine's not supposed to be supported, so I figured there's no point in mentioning anything. :?

Well, this belongs in a thread about NON-working set-ups.

And yes, I am looking for supported machine reports.

Overall, my setup is stable. I have had it whine about not being able to output data in time like I would get with L8 about 3 times on average when I started a session. L9 has done this twice in about 200 runs of the app (I am guessing) so not too bad...

Last night I had some odd things happen though. I took a track and did a BIP on it so I could flex it (it had a take folder on the original track). Flex was turned on when I did the BIP and the resulting track could not be flex edited.

So I nuked the track, turned flex off and then did a new BIP and got no new track output... So I quit L9 and started it again, ensured that flex was off, did the BIP which worked fine this time and then was able to flex the track.

Oy.

It was great to see 9.0.1 appear rapidly after 9.0, but IMO it is even better to see Apple reach out to the Logic Pro community like this so proactively to really get the stability issues in Logic sorted out. Thank you Apple for listening, and thank you Jay for your part in this.

For those of us who've questioned Apple's commitment to Logic (and Pro apps in general) in the past, this should comes as a welcome reassurance that Apple appear actively committed to this area.

And so, given the lack of direct outreach from Apple in the past, let's not miss this opportunity now. If you are on LP 9.0.1 with a good overall experience, please do speak up. Given the uncertainty of the cause of the instabilities, your working rig today may become a broken rig tomorrow. So your feedback isn't just good for others, it could be good for you too.

It was great to see 9.0.1 appear rapidly after 9.0, but IMO it is even better to see Apple reach out to the Logic Pro community like this so proactively to really get the stability issues in Logic sorted out. Thank you Apple for listening, and thank you Jay for your part in this.

For those of us who've questioned Apple's commitment to Logic (and Pro apps in general) in the past, this should comes as a welcome reassurance that Apple appear actively committed to this area.

And so, given the lack of direct outreach from Apple in the past, let's not miss this opportunity now. If you are on LP 9.0.1 with a good overall experience, please do speak up. Given the uncertainty of the cause of the instabilities, your working rig today may become a broken rig tomorrow. So your feedback isn't just good for others, it could be good for you too.

I am not a representative of Apple nor am I here doing this at their suggestion or request. This is strictly my own initiative.

I am not a representative of Apple nor am I here doing this at their suggestion or request. This is strictly my own initiative.

Seriously? Well, as a professional software developer I must tell you that you have a big job on your hands. Good luck :)

i'm only running a 2.4ghz macbook with 4gb ram and i've been pretty stable. i still get the occasional crash out of no where but for the most part its been good. the last track i just did was just under 40 tracks of a mix of audio, and a bunch of plugins and effects and i didn't have to freeze anything and the cpu peaked at about 50%

I started with 9.0.1 on 10.6.1 about a week ago. Very good, for me so far. I've tested most of Logic's native instruments and AU's. The third party plugs I've worked with have only been Superior Drummer 2 (including the 2.2 update) and Pianoteq. Really happy so far. The projects themselves have only been 2,3, and 5 tracks, so there has been no stress on this system.

As usual, Airport and Bluetooth off.