loops within logic

Cheryl Amelang

Thanks a bunch! I had not even noticed the gear!

This has led me down a whole new path. I may be going about this the long hard way, but to import a loop do you have to add the loop to a region in Logic, save and bounce and then import the audio file in MS with a playback plug-in assigned to a software instrument channel strip?

I have already tried to import an audio file by dragging to the channel strip area as well as using the gear menu and importing audio file. I also tried from Logic exporting an instrument strip as well as audio. I managed to get the sounds as a patch but audio is not showing up at all anywhere, not even in the playback plug-in. Oh I also tried to import the audio from the playback plug-in. I am still not having any victory.

Thank you so much for your prompt help on my original question!!

:)

Okay, I was finally able to import through the playback plug-in the audio file. I still cannot assign it to an instrument patch for playback with midi controller such as the Rhythm "Downtown Dub". Sorry for any tedious and ignorant questions you have to answer!

There are several ways to import audio in to Playback. Here are the ones I've discovered so far:

• use the gear men (already mentioned)

• drag and drop from the desktop directly into the Playback plugin UI (where the waveform is displayed) - this is probably my favorite import method if I already have Playback setup and mapped to screen controls

• drag and drop into the channel strips area and drop the file onto an existing channel strip containing an instance of Playback

• drag and drop multiple files into the channel strip area = channels will be created automatically, Playback will be added automatically and the files you dragged in will be loaded into them.

I bounced the audio to a file from Logic, with the format as CAF. The tempo used to be synced in Logic 9.0, but the export appears to be broken in 9.0.1 (there's a discussion about this on the apple discussion forums).

I'm sorry, I don't really understand. Are you using the Bounce feature in Logic? I checked on my 9.0.1 and Aif/Wav/Caf all worked fine. Markers showed up in Playback as well!

Can you try and explain your problem again? or provide a link to that discussion?

I bounced the audio to a file from Logic, with the format as CAF. The tempo used to be synced in Logic 9.0, but the export appears to be broken in 9.0.1 (there's a discussion about this on the apple discussion forums).

I'm sorry, I don't really understand. Are you using the Bounce feature in Logic? I checked on my 9.0.1 and Aif/Wav/Caf all worked fine. Markers showed up in Playback as well!

Can you try and explain your problem again? or provide a link to that discussion?

Not sure where the other thread is but for my own part here's what happens:

I bounce entire projects from L9.0.1 as CAF to use as backing tracks. For some reason there's a bit extra added onto the beginning of some of the resultant files. Not all of them, only some.

No, I have no idea either...

This means they are off-beat in MS.

I solve this by loading them back into Logic and trimming, then Export region as audio file, again CAF.

When I load this file into a playback plugin the 'sync' button is disabled, where it previously wasn't.

This isn't really a problem for me at present as the files play in time with Ultrabeat now.

Not sure where the other thread is but for my own part here's what happens:

I bounce entire projects from L9.0.1 as CAF to use as backing tracks. For some reason there's a bit extra added onto the beginning of some of the resultant files. Not all of them, only some.

No, I have no idea either...

This means they are off-beat in MS.

I solve this by loading them back into Logic and trimming, then Export region as audio file, again CAF.

When I load this file into a playback plugin the 'sync' button is disabled, where it previously wasn't.

This isn't really a problem for me at present as the files play in time with Ultrabeat now.

That's wacky. Are you bouncing with or without Cycle enabled? One possible difference for me is that I'm always bouncing with a Cycle range specified. Doing this has always rendered stems at exactly the same length. I've done this now about 40 times (mostly using 9.0.0) and had no problems like you are describing. Also, exporting audio doesn't appear to add the tempo and marker information into audio files, so you may need to bounce if you want to use Sync.

That's wacky. Are you bouncing with or without Cycle enabled?

I hadn't considered that.

When bouncing the original projects I always have cycle enabled.

When I export the trimmed region, cycle is not enabled.

One possible difference for me is that I'm always bouncing with a Cycle range specified. Doing this has always rendered stems at exactly the same length. I've done this now about 40 times (mostly using 9.0.0) and had no problems like you are describing. Also, exporting audio doesn't appear to add the tempo and marker information into audio files, so you may need to bounce if you want to use Sync.

To be honest, I'm happy with it as it is for now - even though 'sync' is disabled the playback file 'syncs' to Ultrabeat.

As you say, wacky but it seems to working for now.