USB Interfaces wLogic....Performance Hit??

I posted in the Apple forum too, but want to post here as well, really hope to get as many opinions on this as possible. Thanks...

Digidesign's new ELEVEN Rack has a coreaudio driver and therefore can be used as a main interface. This is good news for those who like to use both Logic and Pro Tools, perhaps depending on the project, or to track in Logic and mix in PT.

But, Digi has chosen to make the Eleven Rack a USB interface. Some people on the DUC are not pleased about this and claim this will mean low track counts and all manner of horrors. I worry about it too. Digi went from the Mbox which was USB to the MBOX II Pro which is Firewire, and Ensemble and all the other top interfaces are firewire. Digi's answer seems to be that Firewire is going the way of the buffalo.

Does anyone have any real data on whether a USB interface will result in poorer perfomance?

Thanks

Tom

Digidesign's new ELEVEN Rack has a coreaudio driver and therefore can be used as a main interface.

That's a bold statement!

Yeah I know;)

I have had good luck though with this stupid MBOXII Pro, I go from Logic to PT all the time and Logic has never balked. Been lucky I guess. But I can't see a USB interface so I'm gonna pass...

TH

I Digi's answer seems to be that Firewire is going the way of the buffalo.

Does anyone have any real data on whether a USB interface will result in poorer perfomance?

Thanks

Tom

True that Firewire is gone from the new MacBook Pro's, it was an Apple invention and now it looks to be dead in favor of USB 3. But yes Firewire is likely to go the way of SCSI and the buffaloes too.

True that Firewire is gone from the new MacBook Pro's, it was an Apple invention and now it looks to be dead (...)

Which new MacBook Pros? Current MacBook Pros have a FW800 connection:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

3rd from the left:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/specs_connections_15_20090608.jpg

I have a question too, the features of eleven rack are great, tightly integrated with pro tools, that reamping with a real amp and recording with a mic trou eleven is awesome and stuff...

does anybody here know if the new Line 6 POD X3 Pro can do such tricks?

i know that u can have the plug-in version with the X3, but if i wanted to do the reamping with real amp and record that to logic, could that be done if i set it up as an agregate device or do i have to switch between interfases to do so?

and last, and this has been messing with my head for a while coz i don't have a POD X3 or any other device with S/PIDIF... is there latency if i use the I/O plugin trough digital I/O?

Thanx

True that Firewire is gone from the new MacBook Pro's, it was an Apple invention and now it looks to be dead (...)

Which new MacBook Pros? Current MacBook Pros have a FW800 connection:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

3rd from the left:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/specs_connections_15_20090608.jpg

Sorry David is correct, Apple has not dumped the FW800 port just yet, I was thinking of the previous MacBooks with out the FW port.

I've heard the next generation of portables will not have FW, but as with Apple all bets are off until they actually show it. I did read somewhere from an interview with someone high up at Apple that they were moving out of the Firewire standards. Sorry didn't mean to mislead anyone.