MBP questions

Hi there,

I'm contemplating buying a MacBook Pro (currently owning an iMac PPC and a Windows XP laptop, the latter being too slow for Protools and unable to run Logic of course). Now I hear some great things about the MacBook Pro in this forum, but I have some questions some of you may know the answer to. I of course want to run Logic Pro on my MacBook Pro. I also use Soundtrack Pro and Protools LE with an MBox, both of which I plan to use with my new MacBook Pro too.

1) As for OSX Leopard, when will it be released? I heard it will be several months still before it's released, but it seems kinda weird to buy a MacBook Pro now and seeing it ship with Leopard in two months from now. Is it worth the wait?

2) Same for the new Merom chips that are supposed to replace the Yonah chips currently used in the MBP. What do you think... worth waiting for? After all, the MBP is a rather new design, so it may still be suffering from some growing pains. Some people reported overheating, bad electronics/boards, etc.

So in general the question is: would it be stupid to buy a MacBook Pro now instead of, say, two or three months from now?

3) I find very little about the specs of the built-in audio adapter of the MacBook Pro on the Apple website. Now the built-in audio of my PowerPC iMac is remarkably good in my opinion, but what are the specs of the MacBook Pro's built-in audio?

Thanks,

Hens

i thought leopord was gunna be early 2007?? :?

i think if you can - wait.

youll get a faster chip, and hopefully theyll have ironed out all the macbook pro's problems.

order one now and youve a fairly high chance of getting a lemon.

a lemon?

i got the 17" MBP, and it's been flawless compared to the 5th generation powerbook G4 1,67 GHZ machine (slow as a snail), which had several issues (2 dead hard drives, dodgy trackpad, white spots on screen, dead pixels, plastic casing around latch breaking, etc...), basically a lemon.

by all means, if you need a laptop now don't hesitate, the current MBP's are more than powerful enough for most music needs. personally i don't even use 50% of my computer's ressources, even when i go a bit over board with plug ins.

freezing tracks is definitely a thing of the past.

leopard is supposed to come out jan 2007.

merom is apparently not all it's cracked up to be, according to some benchmark tests i've seen, but i think it's too early to really say how well an apple merom notebook running tiger will perform.

rest assured, the current MBP's rock!

my 15" is in for its 4th logic board. 2nd screen invertor.

it was also cosmetically damaged the first time i took it in,

so its getting a new bottom case.

i have freinds who also have the same problems too ....

heat/whine/buzzing/poor airport/falling apart etc etc

there are less problemm with the 17" it would seem.

theres also 'apparantly' a logic board shortage for the 15"s

so if you do get a lemon, you might have to wait a long time for repair

as a lot of people are at the moment being quoted 3-4 weeks.

MacInTouch.com recently performed a large survey on MacBook Pro and MacBook users, encompassing 2800 laptops. The results are interesting and well worth a look if you are an owner, or prospective buyer. Among the results:

19% of the 2.0 GHz 15" MacBook Pros released in March are prone to sudden, unexpected shutdown.

Some 10-16% of 15" MacBook Pro owners reported warped lids, but very few had this fixed.

39% of 15" MacBook Pros buzz or whine when idle

20% of MacBooks appear to be affected by the fan moo

13% of all MacBook and MacBook Pro computers in this survey were repaired

Any MBP owners who can tell a bit more about the built in audio? What sampling frequencies, bitrates, how does it behave with Logic, anything extra like optical in, S/PDIF etc.? How does it sound? Is it noise free?

Hens