Switch off monitors

You could use the Environment to set up separate Headphone and Monitor feeds and subsequently mute the Monitor feed, but in my experience, the easiest and most flexible way would be to put a hardware monitor controller between your audio interface and your monitor system.

Best regards,

Gert

You could use the Environment to set up separate Headphone and Monitor feeds and subsequently mute the Monitor feed, but in my experience, the easiest and most flexible way would be to put a hardware monitor controller between your audio interface and your monitor system.

Best regards,

Gert

Yeah, I will go for the controller, as soon as I have the money to... :) , but for now I would like to try that environment solution. The thing is, I'm a recent Logic user, and my experience with the environment is kind of limited... Would you be kind to share that with me? Maybe some procedure steps, or a screenshot of how it would look like would be fine.

Thanks anyway.

I'll have a look into the matter as soon as possible, but I'm off to a session right now.

The point to keep in mind is that you have to be able to listen to the signal on headphones, even if the monitor connection is muted. So the Phones feed has to be earlier in the channel path than the Monitor feed. You could follow the "hardware mixer" paradigm and route all your channels to a sub buss, use that buss as your Phones feed and assign the buss outputs to the inputs of your main Monitor output channel.

In the meantime, could you tell me which audio interface you are using?

Best regards,

Gert

I'll have a look into the matter as soon as possible, but I'm off to a session right now.

The point to keep in mind is that you have to be able to listen to the signal on headphones, even if the monitor connection is muted. So the Phones feed has to be earlier in the channel path than the Monitor feed. You could follow the "hardware mixer" paradigm and route all your channels to a sub buss, use that buss as your Phones feed and assign the buss outputs to the inputs of your main Monitor output channel.

In the meantime, could you tell me which audio interface you are using?

Best regards,

Gert

I'm working with an M-Audio FW410.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hello again,

I've set up a default Song file, featuring eight Tracks, a Submix bus, two Aux channels for the Phones and Monitor feeds, a Master Out bus and a Metronome track. Have a look at the screenshot; I've attached the Song file as well.

http://prototype.cochleamastering.net/screenshots/vocals.gif

The idea is to connect Output 3-4 on your interface to your headphone amp and Output 5-6 to your monitor amp. I'm not that familiar with your interface, so there might be a way to route a pair of Outputs internally to one of the headphone connectors on the front panel, which would bypass the requirement for a separate headphone amp.

Anyway, the same principles apply: the basic Tracks are all routed to the Submix channel, which has its Output set to Output 1-2 (your Master Out). The two additional Aux channels take their input from the same Submix bus and route the signal to Outputs 3-4 and 5-6, respectively. That should enable you to mute either one (or both) of the additional feeds, effectively muting your phones and/or monitor feed without interrupting the signal flow to your Master outputs.

I haven't had a chance to test the setup yet, but I suggest you give it a try. If it works, sit back and smile; if it doesn't, you know where to find me...

Best regards,

Gert

Vocals.lso

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I use the 410 and I find the easiest thing to do is to have the control panel for the 410 open and tab between it and Logic (using apple key and tab)

If you need to record, tab to the maudio control panel and hit mute outs 1 and 2

Your headphones feed will still work and you won't have had to leave your chair.

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Hope that helps

Hi

I use the 410 and I find the easiest thing to do is to have the control panel for the 410 open and tab between it and Logic (using apple key and tab)

If you need to record, tab to the maudio control panel and hit mute outs 1 and 2

Your headphones feed will still work and you won't have had to leave your chair.

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Hope that helps

Well, I've been trying gertvanhoof's sugestion, but your's is trully simple, and that's what I need.

Thanks both of you!