mixing in mono, on one speaker

Hi,

I was just reading Paul Stavrou's book 'mixing with your mind'. Here paul introduces an interesting mixing technique that he claims to use almost constantly: mixing in mono on one speaker. He does not mean just pushing the mono button, but really hooking your speaker up in mono.

I want to try this...now the question is how to hook up your speaker in mono in a safe way. The fact is, from experience I know I'm not a star in hooking up speakers to amps. Something seems to go wrong all the time when I try, so now I ask for advice..

can i just combine the to hots, then the two colds comming from my amp and connect them to my single speaker? I cannot think of something else...

has anyone else tried this technique?

like to hear your comments,

all the best

Michel Nols

I can see the point of monitoring your mix in mono, but the soldering scenario looks quite tricky to me. I'm using my mastering console "BBC style" to switch to mono and to cut any one of the speakers. There are relatively inexpensive monitor switchers-cum-volume controllers out there, or you might even build one for yourself.

Best regards,

Gert

Yes, you will blow your amp if you combine the outputs to one speaker.

This really is a no-brainer. Just press the mono button and

• flip the power-amp's balance over to one channel

- or turn its volume (gain) down to zero on one channel

• If your amp has no volume or balance controls (unlikely)

- Disconnect the input to one channel of the power amp

• if you're not using an amp

- switch-off one of your active speakers . . .

• If your active speakers don't have independent power supplies (unlikely)

- Disconnect the input to one of your speakers . . .

(Surely I've covered all bases here . . . ?)

Thing is, who actually listens in mono these days? Even car radios are stereo, and iPods, and TV's - mono has to account for less than 5% of listeners out there.

Having said that, I always check my mixes in mono . . . stereo's just a spatial illusion :wink:

The whole point of Stavrou is that True mono monitoring is more than hitting the mono button on your console. True mono only occurs when you listen from just one point source speaker.

The reason why to do this is that it becomes easier to judge the precise balance of two instruments when they are superimposed on one another than when they are held six feet apart. When the perspective and depth works in mono, it always just gets bigger and cleaner as it seperartes into Stereo, according to Stavrou.

Working the other way around, from stereo to mono, you'll notice that random elements dissappear and stick out in Mono.

Further you are not bothered with: chair position, it overcomes L/R imbalances in room acoustics, amps, speakers and your ears...

It makes your mix focussed and condesed and as a consequence it becomes easier to control all the elements. According to Stavrou you'll work quicker, with much less ftigue, and far more accuracy.

So it's not just checking if your mix works in mono!

I took this from a pro,

you can check out the book at

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/

cheers,

moshi