Transpose diatonic possible?

63strat

There is no way to do this in Logic. I think your best bet is to highlight the notes, hold option, and drag them up or down, and then manually correct those notes which end up being at the wrong pitch.

Let's say you want to harmonize something up a major third. Hold OPT and drag the notes up 4 semitones. If you were in the key of C, those copied notes would be in the key of E (four sharps), so you'll have to bring the F#, G#, C# and D# down one semitone. Voila, you have thirds in C.

This process would hold true for any major key, so it stand to reason that using a Transform might be able to simplify the process. But trust me... it'll take you longer to program the Transform to do this than it would to OPT-drag the notes and then make the corrections afterwards manually.

Thanks David, that's very useful. Curious as to why press Edit > Select Similar Events though. (I'm not sure what that command means.) If I select the note in the Piano Roll, I can then Option-arrow up or down.

If your part is in a one octave range that's fine. If you have more than one octave, then click one of the notes you want to transpose and press Shift-S, that'll select all the notes of the same pitch in all the octaves.

PS got mixed up with my "and" and "then" or something, I reworded my previous post.

• 5 years later...
  • 9 years later...
On 1/22/2015 at 7:58 PM, amiracam said:

hi all, was about to ask the same question , so I googled and found this thread.

Has this changed in LPX? It would be a very composer friendly feature to have.

thanks

No, but there's a discussion about it here – where a somehow useful workaround is mentioned:
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/can-you-move-notes-diatonically-in-the-logic-score-editor.149556/