Another harmonizer environment.

Hello all.

Just spent a couple of fevered days developing this harmonizer environment so I thought I'd share the love. It's supposed to have similar functionality to Antares Harmony Engine - it's a lot clunkier but a lot cheaper;-)

The environment page 'Harmonizer' is where all the midi processing happens. It's a bit of a mess in there but feel free to have a tweek. Hope you enjoy it.

Liebeharts Harmonizer.zip

Well I've always been into choral music but I'm doing a solo project at the moment and wanted some lush, electronicy harmonies that I could perform live. The budget did not allow for any of the fancy Antares products and I figured there was probably a way to do it with the logic environment.

It took a couple of pretty intense days to do and it's still not perfect but I'm quite pleased with it.

BTW The audio is the first verse of a song called Long Winters Pass You By that I'll probably stick on my myspace in a week or so. Someone asked me to write a christmas song and Long Winters was the pretty but rather bleak result. Still the best christmas songs are bleak, non? "Can't make it all alone, I build my dreams around you...", etc.

Crikey, I've just had a go at that myself and it's not exactly straight forward. This is how I would copy my environment to an existing project - other people may know a better way:

1. In the project where you wish to add the harmonizer, create 6 Aux Strips and set the input of each strip to Bus 1 (or the next free bus if you're already using Bus 1). Put a vocal transformer in the first slot of each Aux and set the 'Robotize' parameter of each transformer to 'On'. Mute each Aux channel.

2. Create a new External MIDI instrument. This will be the MIDI controller track for the harmonizer.

3. Open the Liebeharts Harmonizer project. Go the Harmonizer environment page. Select everything in that window (Command A) and copy it.

4. Return to your own project and create a new environment page. Paste the contents of the clipboard on to the new page.

5. Now connect the output from your MIDI interface to the environment. The best way to do this is to move the monitor object labelled INPUT from the harmonizer page to the clicks and ports page. Once you've done that connect a cable from the Sum outlet of the Physical Input object to the input of the, err, INPUT object. Finally move the INPUT object back to the harmonizer page. (NB: It is possible to open the Harmonizer page and the Click & Ports page simultaneously and create a cable between windows from the Physical Input to the INPUT object, but on my copy of Logic 9 that usually causes a crash)

6. Finally connect the output from the External MIDI instrument to Harmonizer INPUT object. To do this go to the MIDI Instr page and move the GM Device instrument to the Harmonizer page. Connect it's output to the input of the INPUT object. Then move it back to the MIDI Instr page. You should now be able to set up an aux send on any audio track to Bus 1 (or whatever your bus you chose) and get harmonizing.

Phew, that's it. Told you it was complicated. If anyone knows a quicker way of doing it let me know.

I've been playing around with this and am really happy to see that someone figured this out. I tried a little bit to do something similar and failed due to lack of Environment experience.

Now we Logic users can Auto-Tune The News without even needing to buy Auto-Tune! (To do so, change the Output on the Original Audio track to No Output.)

There are a couple minor changes I would suggest:

Two of the harmonizer aux tracks have their inputs assigned incorrectly, keeping them from working. It can be fixed by changing all 6 of the aux tracks' inputs to Bus 1.

There are two tracks hidden in the Arrange window that contain folders with MPC grooves on them. Cool enough, but not necessary for this project - they can safely be deleted without interfering with the harmonizer.

Lastly, to make this work, you need to play notes way, way down on the bottom possible octave. I'd suggest changing the final (Environment MIDI) Transformers that pass the fader data onto the Vocal Transformer plugins so that instead of adding 3 to the value, they subtract 21 or 33.

Thanks again for this fantastic project.

• 1 month later...