Universal UAD cards

wondering if anyone out there uses the UAD line of cards for their logic systems.

I'm looking at purchasing one; it's a definite benefit that all the DSP for their plugins are done on the physical card; my questions is how-ever, how much actual processing power will it free up on my logic system?

I know this is very dependent on how I mix and run my sessions, so the question is very general indeed.

I might assume at this point that the benefits of adding this kind of card would be more noticable in older MAC systems such as mine;

G4 867 dual-P. (mirror door drive edition)

(1.75 gigs of RAM)

latest version of both LOGIC PRO and OS X

MOTU 828 MK II

The UAD cards help lower your CPU usage upon two conditions... 1. You use its plugins in the place of Logic's plugins or third party plugins and 2. You have adequate memory . ( this is needed if you use a low buffer to compensate for latency ). Overall , the UAD cards and there plugins are AWESOME !!! You won't be disappointed... Hope this helps.

I just got the UAD-1 flexi pak which allows you to pick the plugs you want using the $500 voucher upon purchase of the card.

So far I've been very happy!!! The 1176- LA2A- fairchild-pultec all sound awesome and have evelated my mixes.

I did have some latency issues while tracking but for the most part use the card during the mixing after all tracking has been done.

make sure to enable the plugin delay compesation in Logic.

best wishes-

B

thanks for the info guys ( funkytpt & DVal ).

I am definitely looking forward to running some of those great analog emulations.

My mind is set, I'm going out to get one.

by the way, are either of you two using PCI or PCIe slots for the UAD card?

I hear the PCIe cards perform better simply due to the high band-width. Just curious, to know if anyone has done a real-world A / B test comparing the two.

Anyways, thanks for your input guys.

cheers.

8)

I have an older G5 with PCIx so I'm not using the newer version of the UAD card.

I have read on other post that there's no problems using two cards.

BTW...UAdio's tech support is very friendly and helpful!! I'm sure they can advise you with whatever move your thinking of making.

Good Luck.

B

I second that ! UAudio's tech support is second to none..... I'm not one to bash, but Apple could learn a thing or two from those guys. If you decide to get the cards, here are a list of must have plugins for them:

Fairchild

Precision Limiter

Plate 140

Cambridge

Precision Equalizer

All the plugins are really good, but those listed above are the ones I especially like. I played around with the Neve 1073, and that one was also nice... It's next on my list.... Take the plunge... get the cards !!