help the new-bee! Need some interface suggestions

hello out there.

i have logic 7 and a mac book and im looking for a bit of help as far as the interface goes!

bear in mind that im from Northern Ireland, and some of your new fangled technology might not be available over here!!

haha

but any suggestions, in all price ranges would be wel received,

cheers

jonny :P

what are you going to be using it for is the key question.... Personally I think M-Audio's converters are not worth $h1t.... I used a 1010 PCI for years and then heard a Metric Halo and have never looked back -- the difference was *shocking* .... MOTU is not up to par either!!!!! And motu mk2408, II, 828 , 896i is what I basingthe comparisons on .... But I really think it denepnds what you want to do with it....

uln-2 is bellow 1k and not to mention used ;) ... for the presonus you will need a DI or some sort of preamp coz the levels are just not up to par ... BUT the 4 oudio ins of the ULN might be not enough at wich point MOTU might be a better choice .... as triplets suggests :)

uln-2 is bellow 1k and not to mention used ;) ... for the presonus you will need a DI or some sort of preamp coz the levels are just not up to par ... BUT the 4 oudio ins of the ULN might be not enough at wich point MOTU might be a better choice .... as triplets suggests :)

hmm... I use a Presonus Firepod, no low levels here :roll:

In fact I never had to turn the "gain" knobs on the firepod past halfway.

Anyway I like it.

Many people also like the Focusrite saffire.

• 4 weeks later...

I write alot in hotel rooms while travelling, and I've tried a few things over the years... digi 001, which was dreadful...002, slightly better, still not too good...M-Audio firewire 410 which was so bad!!! Could take that thing...wanted to stay compact though, so I got a Presonus Firebox...no level problems once I installed some sort of internal mixer/console thing...it's not mind blowing, but doesn't suck...my pick for under $500.00...That being said, I'm gonna go with either the Fireface 400, or The Metric Halo for mobile work, and considering the Blacklion mod for that old 002 that's just collecting dust at the moment...anyone heard that mod on a 002?

Thanks!

-Mark

Hey there,

I have a Presonus Firebox at work and an RME Multiface II at home. The Firebox is decent, but I don't care for the +12 gain switches only being accessible from the computer screen. I also don't think the mic pre's are that special.

If you can get something from RME, go for it. If you have a MacBook Pro, you can get the Multiface II, using a PCMCIA card. The converters and clock are really musical and clean. The noise is unbelievably low. I'd rather record at 16/44.1k on my RME than at 24/96 on the Presonus. It sounds wonderful, and they use the same converters in all their stuff, so go for it. Maybe a fireface 400?