How to move tracks in the mixer?

Malyan

When in any track, i find myself unable to move tracks around in the mixer window.

For example, I'm currently working on a track, band setup. I created all my vocal tracks at the same time, multiple tracks for each vocalist. I want to duplicate one of the tracks so that i can give it different insert effects and a different level/pan, so I create a new track. Lo and behold, there it is on the mixer, coming up as the first track, about 30 tracks away from the other vocals.

In the arrange window, it is right next to the track i want it to be next to, but I can't seem to move the track in the mixer!

This may be a very simple workaround, but it is something that I have always tried, and failed to do repeatedly.

I've tried googling this issue repeatedly, along with searching the manual over many a cuppa, with no luck. Maybe I'm just suffering from an OCD and this is just a typical winge, but I do find it annoying!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Many many many thanks.

I wish I had asked this question a few months ago, and would have saved myself a lot of wasted time busting my fingers trying to find the secret 'move track' key combination. I know where to come in the future.

Thanks again!

Hi,

This is something I've never been able accomplish. I was excited to see this post, but am still having problems.

In the mixer view, I make sure arrange is selected, but when I click-drag the track name to rearrange it it acts as a selector. That's what I normally do to change parameters on multiple tracks. I would love to rearrange though.

Anyway, any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

• 2 years later...
Any way to integrate Aux/Buses into the track arrangement? (ie: would like to have my Drums Bus next to Drum tracks)

Yes: control-click your channel strip and choose Create/Select Arrange Track. Then in the Arrange area, move the track assigned to your Aux to the desired location, right next to your drum tracks. The Drum bus Aux in the Mixer will move accordingly.

• 1 year later...
Hey all~ I just upgraded to Logic X (loving it) on my iMac (3.4Ghz Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM). However I am having the same problem as what is listed above (wanting to be able to move/rearrange tracks in the Mixer window) but the directions above do not apply in Logic X (I cannot find them in the same place). Any help will be greatly appreciated. All the tracks in the Mixer window are currently arranged according to the Aux number, and I want to be able to arrange them according to however I need to group them for convenient mixing. I do have "Tracks" selected in the Mixer window. Thanks in advance!

It is working the same way in Logic X, just follow what David wrote to add the channel strip in arrange window:

Yes: control-click your channel strip and choose Create/Select Arrange Track. Then in the Arrange area, move the track assigned to your Aux to the desired location, right next to your drum tracks. The Drum bus Aux in the Mixer will move accordingly.

• 4 months later...

I've tried this in Logic Pro X and still no dice. You mentioned that in older versions there are the choices of Single, Arrange and All. In Logic Pro X there are Single, TRACKS and All. When I follow your advice to create an arrange track it does create a track in my arrange window of whatever I'm working with but no matter where I place that particular track it will not follow suit in my mix window. So now I have a cluttered up arrange window with a bunch of bus tracks that I made in hopes that the order that I set them to in my arrange window would dictate my mix window but they all just stay put.

Why would Logic ever think that doing something like this should require anything other than simply dragging a track to its desired destination anyways?

I've tried this in Logic Pro X and still no dice. You mentioned that in older versions there are the choices of Single, Arrange and All. In Logic Pro X there are Single, TRACKS and All. When I follow your advice to create an arrange track it does create a track in my arrange window of whatever I'm working with but no matter where I place that particular track it will not follow suit in my mix window. So now I have a cluttered up arrange window with a bunch of bus tracks that I made in hopes that the order that I set them to in my arrange window would dictate my mix window but they all just stay put.

Why would Logic ever think that doing something like this should require anything other than simply dragging a track to its desired destination anyways?

Have you experimented with the "Track Stacks" feature introduced in LPX? It makes the housekeeping of many tracks and their aux busses simple, clean, and convenient.

• 4 years later...
Any way to integrate Aux/Buses into the track arrangement? (ie: would like to have my Drums Bus next to Drum tracks)

I cant seem to find create/select Arrange track!?

• 8 months later...
Thanks, David. Any way to change core audio channel numbers?

Each channel strip is assigned a core audio channel, you can change those in the MIDI Environment's inspector however keep in mind all adjustments (plug-ins, channel strip settings etc...) are core audio channel dependent (not channel strip dependent).

• 11 months later...

100% with Lucas here. Can't think of a good reason why this can't/isn't happening. I've seen this question/request for years. It's this simple in the Main Window. Manipulate the order from another window? Seems like an antiquated technique.

PLEASE Logic, address this, help! :)

I'm trying to follow this...Could you outline the steps to reorder the mixer channels. I've moved them in the main page, no go. In the dreaded Environment window, you can just drag them around. . how nice...select and move... no hoops to jump through.

100% with Lucas here. Can't think of a good reason why this can't/isn't happening. I've seen this question/request for years. It's this simple in the Main Window. Manipulate the order from another window? Seems like an antiquated technique.

PLEASE Logic, address this, help! :)

DITTO

In Pro Tools you just drag the channel strips around