Speed of the new iMac intel core 2 duo vs G5 PowerMac

Considering selling my G4 PowerMac and buying a new computer. The most important thing is to be able to run Logic Pro (and multiple plugins) really smoothly. Just wondering how a new imac intel core 2 duo 2.0ghz computer would compare to, lets say, a PowerMac G5 2.0ghz DP? Obviously the imac is significantly cheaper, but is there a big difference in performance? What would be the cons of using an imac for audio recording/ editing?

Obviously one of the new Mac Pro's would be ideal, but more costly. How would the imac compare to the Mac Pro Quad 2.0GHz? Obviously there is a big difference between the two, but HOW big? Can the intel imac's hold up in the world of audio recording?\

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I just grabbed four of those iMacs for my classroom! I haven't done any tests yet, but in my opinion their processors will be faster than the Dual G5, however there are other factors to consider, such as hard drives, video card, bus speed... and expandability. It's so easy to expand a G5 or a Mac Pro, and you don't get that flexibility when getting an iMac.

But I think right now pretty much any new mac you buy will allow you to produce music comfortably, so unless you're a film composer and need to use large sample libraries, the iMac will be a fine machine for you.

PS: I talked to a TV composer the other day who got a Mac Mini Intel, he said that thing was faster than his Dual 1.8GHz G5! That gives you an idea.