Superior Drummer "Nashville EZX" Hyper Set

I have been trying to get my head around drum programming using Superior Drummer in Logic. For a while I tried using the Piano Roll editor and while it does work of course, it requires you to "fly blind" so often when choosing the various articulations in a library.

Following the suggestions of others here, I started experimenting with the Hyper Editor as an alternative and boy does it help make things a lot clearer. It's still a little hard to work "off the grid" but I am finding workarounds for that.

I have created a Hyper Set for the Toontrack EZX Nashville library that I use in Superior Drummer. In naming the definitions I used the same name used by Toontrack, so as to avoid confusion. I arranged the definitions in an order that makes sense to me, with the kick being on the bottom, snare next, then hi hat, toms, and cymbals. For some reason this is intuitive to me, and when I see the notes placed in the editor in this type of arrangement, it just makes sense to me.

The Hyper Set is named "Nashville Sticks", because I intend to make one for the hand drums in this library as well.

The "Alternate Mappings" section contains some mappings I have discovered when I loaded in some grooves from the Nashville collection. Apparently they don't all use the default Superior mappings. There are probably more cases but these are the ones I have stumbled across so far. Of course those notes could be moved to the default mapping, or the definition could be dragged upward for more visual appeal.

I also made a "Misc/Unused" section at the bottom. To de-clutter the editor, anything not pertinent to the song at hand could be dragged down to this area if desired.

I would like to make Hyper Sets for all of my libraries, but before I proceed I thought I would make this one available so as to hopefully get some feedback and suggestions from you fine folks.

Nashville Sticks (for forum).logic.zip

If you go to toontrack's site, in the downloads bit if you dig a bit you'll find hypersets for several EZ Drummers expansion packs and Superior 2. These were writtten using Logic 8, but seem to work on Logic 9 too.

I REALLY wish Logic had a drum edit page like the one in Cubase. It is so much easier to set up and more logical in operation.

You might need to tweak them around a bit but hopefully they'll save you a bit of time!

I can't remember which versions are in the download, but I think there's a "light' version of some of the kits. These don't include every version of HH hit etc, but they get me through most things.

One person said he couldn't get them to work, but hopefully that was finger trouble....

I can't remember which versions are in the download, but I think there's a "light' version of some of the kits. These don't include every version of HH hit etc, but they get me through most things.

Yes indeed! The following is from the "Read Me" file included in the zip download:

There are hyper sets for....

Rock & Pop

Cocktail

Latin percussion

Nashville

Vintage

Funk Masters

Jazz.

Most of these have each got 2 hypersets, a full version with everything, and a "lite" version.

The lite version doesn't have all the Hihat variations, but does include the "seq" hits and a couple of open ones.

The idea behind the "Lite" sets is to make the hyper edit page a bit more manageable.

The Nashville "lite" kit also has a version for the "hand" kit.

The Latin perc has 3 hyperset kits.

A full set, then 2 other sets- "Skins" and "Shakers".

I needed to break the kit into 2, so I've roughly divided it into one with drums with skins and cymbals, and the other with things that you shake! It's not perfect, in that the UDU is in the skins etc.

Cocktail is a small kit, and I use it so seldom, so it only gets the one hyperset!

Most names of instruments have had to be shortened, but hopefully the truncated names are obvious. HH OP (Hihat open) Crsh1 mut (Crash cymbal 1 mute) etc.

I haven't included the GM notes as they were just repeats of other articulations, nor are any aliases.

There are a few sounds not listed on the MIDI keyboard layout that I found added too. eg there's a ride crescendo in the Vintage EZX.

Oh, and if you happen to have Superior 2, there's some sets for the Avatar kit too.

Edited by Steelkat