Logic Pro 9 Key Modifier List

fader8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread.

Here's a couple:

Solo or Mute ONE channel in a group

Option-click the Solo or Mute button and the command will ignore the rest of the soloed or muted channels in this group, assuming Solo or Mute is checked for that group.

Local menu navigation

Control-click to open local menus in turn without having to double click each one.

Solo or Mute ONE channel in a group

Option-click the Solo or Mute button and the command will ignore the rest of the soloed or muted channels in this group, assuming Solo or Mute is checked for that group.

Actually this has nothing to do with groups: Option-click a solo button will solo that channel and unsolo everything else (regardless of whether or not it belongs to a group in the first place).

Local menu navigation

Control-click to open local menus in turn without having to double click each one.

That's a good one - didn't know that one. Still wish I could just drag the mouse without having to control-click.. but that's already better than double-clicking. Thanks!! :D

Still wish I could just drag the mouse without having to control-click.

Yes, but what I really want is for it to work the way regular menus work. I want to just click once, and then navigate all over the menu structure just with the arrow keys.

In the local menus, the keys works fine for going up and down. But I can't go left or right, to another menu (although left and right work for navigating a hierarchical menu). With regular menus (in Logic, the Finder, and every other program), left and right can be used to get across the whole menu structure.

And it wraps around when you get to end. Click once on the Apple menu, and hold down the right arrow key, and you'll see what I mean. Why can't local menus do this? So then there's no need to drag the mouse at all. You just need one click, and then the mouse is no longer needed.

• 1 month later...
Option-clicking any disclosure triangle to expand or collapse window contents has been a standard convention on Apple computers since they first started supporting a mouse.

In the Finder, clicking a disclosure triangle will expand or collapse window contents. Option-clicking will extend that behavior to enclosed folders, not folders at the same level as the first folder.

The behavior that Sahkuhachi and I noticed in Logic is different from the behavior that you're talking about in the Finder. In the Finder, option-clicking a disclosure triangle means open every folder enclosed inside this folder (many levels down, possibly). It doesn't mean open all the items at the same level as the first item.

But that's what it means in Logic. Option-click on the disclosure triangle next to a file in the bin means 'open all items in the bin' (i.e., all the items at the same level as the first item). Likewise, option-click on the disclosure triangle next to a global track means 'open all global tracks' (i.e., all the items at the same level as the first item).

Not the same thing.

I don't know of any way to make the Finder do what Logic is doing: open all items at this level.

I wasn't referring to the Finder specifically. The behaviour of option-clicking a disclosure triangle is dependent on what the dev feels is most appropriate for the context of the window. But you can always count on it doing some form of multiple expand/collapse.

you can always count on it doing some form of multiple expand/collapse

It always means some form of multiple expand/collapse, except when it doesn't. For example, option-clicking on the disclosure triangle for a folder playlist in iTunes has no special effect. Same thing if you option-click on the disclosure triangles in the online help system for Logic. Same thing if you option-click on the disclosure triangle next to a folder in the Apple Mail app. Same thing if you option-click on the disclosure triangles in System Profiler. Same thing if you option-click on the disclosure triangles in the Safari history window. Et cetera.

The behaviour of option-clicking a disclosure triangle is dependent on what the dev feels is most appropriate for the context of the window.

As far as I know, option-click on a disclosure triangle always means expand nested items, if they exist. It never means expand all items at the same level, except in Logic. Maybe there's some other app that does this too, but I've never seen it!

I already knew it also work on finder. But as 45rpm said, It would be great if in the finder works the same way as in logic, expanding all folders in the same level and not only the ones inside the folder...

Well any way, option click in disclosure triangles, always go in the direction of expand/collapse :D, as in the automation tracks, global traks, audio bin, finder...

I apologize if it is not a logic key modifier.

best regards

as in the automation tracks

Thanks for pointing that out, I never noticed that before. So option-click on a closed disclosure triangle in an automation lane will open all automation lanes for the current track. And option-click on an open disclosure triangle in an automation lane will close all the automation lanes below the current automation lane.

So it's not exactly the same as what happens in the bin and with global tracks, but it's similar. Have you found any place where this trick works elsewhere in Logic? I can't think of any other places. And I don't know of any other app that does this (option-click on a disclosure triangle effects the state of other items at the same level).

Opt-clicking a disclosure triangle to open a series of folders is very very old Mac OS behavior. If memory serves, on OS 9 (?) and previous versions of Mac OS, opt-clicking a folder in the Finder would open all folders in a Finder window.

Opt-clicking to reveal automation lanes has been SOP in Logic from at least Logic 7, and doing the same to open/close the display of all audio files & regions has been SOP in Logic since "Logic Audio" first made its debut. That's be either L3 or L4 (prolly L4).

AFAIA there aren't any other places in Logic where this kind of behavior would even be necessary, though I've got plenty on my wish-list. ;)

Opt-clicking a disclosure triangle to open a series of folders is very very old Mac OS behavior. If memory serves, on OS 9 (?) and previous versions of Mac OS, opt-clicking a folder in the Finder would open all folders in a Finder window.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. By "a series of folders" and "all folders in a Finder window" do you mean all nested items, or all items at the same level as the selected item? Because the latter is what Logic is doing (e.g., in the bin) and the former is what the Finder does.

Do you know of a way to get the Finder to open all items at the same level as the selected item? I wish I knew how to do that.

doing the same to open/close the display of all audio files & regions has been SOP in Logic since "Logic Audio" first made its debut

For some reason, the list at the top of this thread doesn't mention this use of option-click in the bin (even though it's apparently old behavior). So I'm glad that Sahkuhachi brought that to my attention. It also doesn't mention this use of option-click in global tracks, which is something I noticed only because of what Sahkuhachi said about the bin. So thank you, Sahkuhachi.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. By "a series of folders" and "all folders in a Finder window" do you mean all nested items, or all items at the same level as the selected item?

There's no need to be argumentative. Obviously, ski means subfolders and their content, as that is how the Finder works. In many of Apple's pro apps, the disclosure triangle is used for more than just embedded file browser uses, but the standard "Finder" style implementation doesn't support the workflow context. Clips that contain markers in a Final Cut bin is a good example that doesn't follow this convention to the letter. But it is understandable that you might find these contextual differences a bit confusing if you have had limited or no exposure to Apple's pro apps before.

But the point is whether or not it's useful to include them in a document that lists key modifiers, and maybe it is because it's somewhat unique, and it certainly doesn't hurt.

I think this one it is not on the list, and i hope it wont create any polemic as before, i am just trying to help completing the list.

CHANNEL STRIP

Press Option ⌥ and make a 2 seconds click on the channel strip settings button, and you will see the menu with all channel strip (Inst, Audio, Output, Bus, Master), been able for example to insert a bus channel strip in an instrument channel without changing the instrument, or an audio channel strip on an instrument track or viceversa. Very handy :D

Cheers

Edited by Sahkuhachi

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Awesome list! Just came across this searching for an odd modifier behavior in Logic Pro 10.0.7

Curious if there is something like this list for Logic Pro X? or what has changed. I've been testing things and allot seems to be the same.

The one I was searching and I am stumped on is when pressing Command & Option and hovering over a Region my Mouse Arrow gets a small "+" next to it. Can't really tell what it does if anything. Also hard to find any reference to this. Is this something obvious I am overlooking? Thanks