anyone using powercore?

Anyone using powercore with Logic?

Any thoughts?

firewire vs. PCI?

how does it compare with UAD?

Any must have plugs?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

B

I have both PCI UAD (only model available) & PCI Powercore. The PCI devices don't allow my G5 to deep sleep, which is a serious problem.

The Powercore isn't as colorful as the UAD. I like plug-ins which add vintage character to my music and the TC plug-ins, although very good, are too clean for my tastes.

The UAD is very impressive (get the UltraPack), but it does not have a very powerful DSP engine, which results in far less plug-ins than new products such as the Focusrite Liquid Mix, which can run 32 EQs and 32 Compressors on a single box.

So, to summarize:

Firewire would be my choice, if I could do it all again, but the UAD is not available in a FW version.

I can't wait to check out the Focusrite Liquid Mix, so if you are primarily looking for colorful, vintage EQs & Compressors, then Liquid Mix might be the ticket, but for now, I love the UAD.

I haven't looked at some of the newer TC plug-ins for the powercore, but I bet there are some great ones.

-bs

I've got both the TC Powercore Firewire and UAD-1 PCI card, plus RME FF400: all running like a charm together. The UAD does have a distinctly vintage sound with some of the plugs, it kinda makes your mixes sound more "expensive".

But the Powercore has the advantage of being able to run a lot more plug-ins. I do some seriously heavy mixing most days, where the CPU on my DP 2.0 G5 would grind to a halt if it wasn't for the TC box helping out.

The Sony Oxford EQ is stunning, Inflator is useful too, but best of all is the Assimilator plug-in, which can emulate the EQ and general sound of any track you throw at it. The Powercore's ClassicVerb has replaced my CPU hogging Altiverb 5, and there's a virtual instrument which looks like a Roland SH-101, but sounds a million times fatter than that! More like a Juno 106 meets a Mini Moog.

Definitely get the Firewire version - then you can take it around anywhere you want. For me it's been like having double the power of Logic's plugs at my disposal.

UAD will give you a classier sound, but the Powercore will be your true workhorse. Just depends on what you need for your style of music, or way of working on tracks.

A word of advice.. DONT BUY POWERCORE!

Not that is sounds bad, but the tc support is the worst in the world.. I bought mine from a used store. They won't authorize my powercore just because i can't get in touch w/the previous owner. So it's like thorw 500 $ in the garbage!! Thanksa lot TC. Beside this their effect aren't that great, really. There're way overpriced. Go for a UAD1. Better people better plug ins and alot cheaper.