MOTU Ultralite or Presonus FirePod

I'm undecided as to which of these two interfaces to get for Logic. Feature wise, I'm leaning more towards the Ultralite because of the included CueMix software, LCD display, and smaller size (I don't need all the pres of the Firepod). But soundwise, I'm unsure. I've read some sites where people think the FirePod sounds better while others say Motu blows the Firepod away.

Both of these interfaces fit my budget and I can't get anything as expensive as a RME. Please help, thanks.

I've owned a Firepod...they sound...pretty good...using a Firebox now for travelling...small, bus powered and very stable...I won't be using it forever as the pre's are pretty so-so...it's a good box though...most of what I've heard suggests that the MOTU's sound a bit better...I had some MOTU stuff years ago and it was so unstable and just strange that I gave up on that company, but from what I understand their new stuff is pretty cool...

I'm currently deciding between a Fireface 400 and a Metric Halo ULN...

-Mark

tek

got a MOTU Ultralite 5 months ago. Installation and set peace of cake.

Works very well with Logic. Cue Mix is great.

Go for it....

I would second that. The Ultralite is extremely good value for money. If what you're after is a no-nonsense audio interface that sounds very good then I would get the Ultralite. I have read so much leading up to my decision to buy the Ultralite, about the quality of it's preamps cfed to others etc etc but I use it and mix on my DAW, either Logic Express or Live 6 and it sounds and works flawlessly.

I own a firebox, and it does work great, good sound, etc. I think it all depends on how many ins and outs you need, and if you need midi. I was comparing the two, leaning towards the ultralite because of the preamps, but found that if you want a step up from the Firebox, with good preamps, MIDI, etc. check out the Focusrite Sapphire or the Sapphire LE. Focusrite is a standard in the preamp industry, and the DSP found in the Sapphire will reduce load on your cpu. good luck.

Does the FIrepod use class compliant drivers like the firebox? If so, that's enough of a reason to not get it. Do a search on this forum for the processor spiking issue and that fact that although Apple acknowledges it, there is no solution in sight - And PreSonus won't help either.

MOTU writes their own drivers, so this isn't an issue.

As far as I'm concerned, these issues trump any question of sound quality.

J