MIDI crashes logic

I have been playing around with the logic environment quite extensively after reading the manual and watching several tutorials from "Macprovideo" (nice plug for them eh?). I keep having the same problem: complex midi environments seem to crash my logic.

I am running logic pro 9 on a pimped out Imac dual core with with 3 gigs of ram. I watch the monitor in the transport and it is about half full and running fine. After about 1/2 an hour logic starts to slow down in response time. (if I press the space bar to play, and then press again to stop I have to wait for up to 30 seconds for it to respond.

When this happened I was running BFD 2 in 16 bit mode as well as Musiclab Real LPC.

What I was trying to do is build a environment that would mimic guitar soloing techniques. I am a guitar player and am fascinated with trying to build processes to mimic what I do (more to see if I can than to be useful) and the environments get relatively complex. roughly 15 transform objects and 10 chord memorizers in one environment and something similar in another environment. I guess my question is has anyone else had similar issues when dealing with complex environments. I was under the impression that transforming midi used very little memory. What type of memory would these processes use? Is it streamed. I am no computer tech guy, but would like to set my system up to not crash. I can send the environments from home that caused the crash if anyone has some suggestions (I am at work right now).

thanks you guys have really helped me grow in my logic knowledge...

Hard to say. When you get home, zip up a .logic file and attach it here.

Are you using any IAC busses? Potentially, you could create data loops with those which would bring a Mac to its knees. Your environment doesn't sound like its big enough to cause that problem normally.

as far as I can tell a IAC bus is something to rewire to another host to run stand alone plugs and such and is routed outside of logic... correct? I have not created any IAC Busses as far as I know in fact I never knew they existed till now... pretty sweet deal as far as I can tell... Everything that I have created was made in the environment and routed around to different transformers and such... I didn't really think it was a problem with the midi putting strain on the system. It wouldn't have anything to do with the buffer size (in preferences) would it? I was always told to keep this low if possible, but I still don't really understand why... I will send the environments tonight when I get home... thanks for your thoughts on the IAC Busses... do you know where I can get some documentation on them... I looked on the logic manual from Apple and it yeilded zero results ... I will keep searching, but if you have anything on hand that would be great...

thanks again...

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

since I having wrote my previous message I have had none of the problems that I was having before... the same files, same plugins, same sequences so it must have been an error in something else on my computer... thanks for the help anyways... hopefully it was not a glitch in Logic...

Curtis