Listen this and please HELP :-)

Logicno8

Hey forum..I need EXPRESS advice (since I have to send this recording to a rock contest in next 2,5 days). I have my song mixed here and it sounds as good as I can get in these "on a budget", home recording circumstances. But...It sounds FULL, PACKED, ROCKIN', it sound AWESOME here at MY place. But I went tonight at my producer friends house and it's just not good at his house. I have BEHRINGER MS 40 monitors which are decent but nothing special and he has some small YAMAHA's (not NS10). And at my place I have more bassy sound and he has that more High End boost sound...now, please, PLEASE, whoever of you guys has good monitors (and ears :-) ) take a listen to my attached recording. It's just foundation riff and whole band playing together. There are 2 versions. First is how it sounds good at my place (too high pitched frequency he said and) and second is more bassy (sound as mud at my place but I guess it would be good at his).

Tell me your impressions and which one you like better (technical wise, in a production way), is it VOL too, should I go in direction of first or second version ?

Thanks in advance

HighBoost.mp3.zip

BassBoost.mp3.zip

Hey forum..I need EXPRESS advice (since I have to send this recording to a rock contest in next 2,5 days). I have my song mixed here and it sounds as good as I can get in these "on a budget", home recording circumstances. But...It sounds FULL, PACKED, ROCKIN', it sound AWESOME here at MY place. But I went tonight at my producer friends house and it's just not good at his house. I have BEHRINGER MS 40 monitors which are decent but nothing special and he has some small YAMAHA's (not NS10). And at my place I have more bassy sound and he has that more High End boost sound...now, please, PLEASE, whoever of you guys has good monitors (and ears :-) ) take a listen to my attached recording. It's just foundation riff and whole band playing together. There are 2 versions. First is how it sounds good at my place (too high pitched frequency he said and) and second is more bassy (sound as mud at my place but I guess it would be good at his).

Tell me your impressions and which one you like better (technical wise, in a production way), is it VOL too, should I go in direction of first or second version ?

Thanks in advance

I'm a 'Nobody'

Since you asked. :lol:

IMHO ( In my honest opinion )

I don't like either mix, setting the volume levels so that both are about the same, there is hardly much difference.

Did you remix at your friend's house based on what sound good to you guys?

I cannot listen to the mix for very long because of the HF. It already left a ringing in my ears even at a lower volume. Also, you may want to see an audiologist to get your hearing checked. You may have damaged your ears as far as the high end goes. Then again, you may have pushed the high end to make up for what your speakers can't do.

The mix has that classic 'V' EQ with a hollow vinyl record sound, and you have a few low end frequencies that are ringing. It sounds mostly like the Bass guitar is the source of the problem. The high end is simply too shrill for me.

I think the issue is your inexperience with mixing rather than your speakers.

Based on your question, I would say that both mixes are basically identical if set to the same level.

Sorry to sound so disappointing, by that's what I hear.

Good luck to you.

I thought it sounded pretty good... to me anyway.

I can tell a bit of a difference and I much prefer the warmer sound of "Bass Boost". In addition to the other sample just being louder, it appears to have more high end in the EQ and its too over the top for me.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty clean recording for "on a budget". The average listener just wants to rock out with this style anyway so it seems to me it would serve its purpose.

shivermetimbers....I think I hear pretty well, since I share opinion with you on too much boost in high register. I have bassy speakers and I will set them bass-less in order to get reality out of them. It is FULL and PUNCHY at my place and if you have more flat frequency monitors it will sound sharp and harsh I guess.

And of course lack in experience as well...

I'm not disappointed. I'm glad you're honest :-)

Sopranos...Thank you on your comment. What kind of speaker do you have ? I ask because I want to judge on what kind of sound you were getting from them.

Did you experienced any kind of distortion if going to high levels ?

Okay, I listened to the mix again with in ear monitors. They are Philips SHE2645 (see pic) and I have ear gels attached.

I liked the HighBoost version better than the other mix. Through the in ears, everything sounds as you described. As long as the judges for the contest are using $11 IEMs, or a set of MS40's you will stand a chance.

Your 20 watt speakers have a 4" woofer @50Hz low end. If you can find a way to beg, steal, or borrow some real speakers, you could possibly do a remix and do the song some justice.

Good luck.

75365332_Picture1.gif.cc61dd95010f0841c17069768f52911d.gif

Okay, I listened to the mix again with in ear monitors. They are Philips SHE2645 (see pic) and I have ear gels attached.

I liked the HighBoost version better than the other mix. Through the in ears, everything sounds as you described. As long as the judges for the contest are using $11 IEMs, or a set of MS40's you will stand a chance.

Your 20 watt speakers have a 4" woofer @50Hz low end. If you can find a way to beg, steal, or borrow some real speakers, you could possibly do a remix and do the song some justice.

Good luck.

Hahahaahha....thanks...great idea. We can make promo CD with bonus headphones included. And if we get rich we can include MS40's :-D

It's strange how HIGH BOOST mix doesn't sound way too harsh on such a small headphones which are usually best representation of mids and highs. Hm...

FWIW I listened to your mix on M-Audio BX8a Deluxe Studiophile monitors.

Wow...they seem to be very good. Check out my newest MIX A and B versions (about 8 sec each) here....http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57955 and listen how it sounds now ? Any better ? :-)

Wow...they seem to be very good. Check out my newest MIX A and B versions (about 8 sec each) here....http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57955 and listen how it sounds now ? Any better ? :-)

'A' is better than 'B.' and with a little tweaking, doesn't sound 1/2 bad.

668031537_GoodbyeEars.gif.4dc5b536b51a9e956eabec7e7ef78cf4.gif

So what have you done ? Why did you left clipping ? :-)

Can you attach it now?

Can you attach it now?

You can download 'Demos' from many different companies. T-racks happens to be one of them.

Try it ... http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/download/

The Audio channel appears to be clipping, but doesn't sound like it is clipping. That is one of the neat features of the way real EQs and Compressors are designed ... blah, blah, blah.

The limiter on the Output channel keeps everything at just below any 'redline' level.

I don't usually bounce out of Logic. I go directly out of the interface to a mixer and on to whatever media I need (i.e DAT, CD, etc).

Can you attach it now?

You can download 'Demos' from many different companies. T-racks happens to be one of them.

Try it ... http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/download/

The Audio channel appears to be clipping, but doesn't sound like it is clipping. That is one of the neat features of the way real EQs and Compressors are designed ... blah, blah, blah.

The limiter on the Output channel keeps everything at just below any 'redline' level.

I don't usually bounce out of Logic. I go directly out of the interface to a mixer and on to whatever media I need (i.e DAT, CD, etc).

I know about T-RACKS . I use it. It's just...I think I used all of my PLUG-INS capacity and whatever I put on my track now it won't better the sound but make it distorted and over processed. When I put your setting it melts my speakers and sound like a car accident :lol:

I know about T-RACKS . I use it. It's just...I think I used all of my PLUG-INS capacity and whatever I put on my track now it won't better the sound but make it distorted and over processed. When I put your setting it melts my speakers and sound like a car accident :lol:

Those aren't my settings, those are stock presets (cept for the Adaptive Limiter). I simply downloaded your zip file and placed it in an empty Logic file. I added the three plug-ins ins and viola.

I can adjust the output of my audio interface down to a whisper if needed. There is no reason to 'melt' your speakers.

Are we still talking about those MS40's?

Those aren't my settings, those are stock presets (cept for the Adaptive Limiter). I simply downloaded your zip file and placed it in an empty Logic file. I added the three plug-ins ins and viola.

I can adjust the output of my audio interface down to a whisper if needed. There is no reason to 'melt' your speakers.

Are we still talking about those MS40's?

Thanks for taking your time to get my audio into Logic. I know that those presets are included in T-Racks. I found them and placed on the track where my song was and I told you what happened here. It's OVERLOADING not in level way but in sound quality. It just sounds terrible. I'll try it again and see what I can come up with. I wasn't sure, however, what was first in your chain, MIDRANGE DEFINITION (Eq) or WARM 670 (Comp)...I guess it was EQ and than COMP :-) That's how I did it ( I tried both ways though).

And yes, BEHRINGER MS40 are only speakers I have right now.

It's just noise when I do so, here...hm, I'm wondering why...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..I have 3 songs so far.

Here are 2 links. Facebook and MySpace (I suggest listening on Facebook due to better sound quality there).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BUNS-OF-STEEL/121028707932001?v=app_2405167945&ref=ts

http://www.myspace.com/bunsofsteel

This is all done on a budget. Or I can say NO BUDGET at all. It's raw rock n roll energy and that was what I wanted to capture since I can't sound as a pro bands.

2 songs are recorded with NUENDO and CUBASE and third (FOREVER) completely in LOGIC PRO. All of them are mixed and mastered in LOGIC PRO (as much as I knew about it). I

I used :

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

M-Audio Fast Track MK2

SHURE SM58 (for all vocals and just for them)

Behringer MS 40 studio near field monitors

VicFirth studio headphones

(and that's basically it...everything I used to record these songs (except for instruments :-)