Hi !

I just stumbled across this thread about that wonderfull Scale Remapper Environment.

First: a very big thank you for this environment !!

Second:

I don't know much about modes ; it's quite vague to me :?

When you look at modern dance and pop music , which modes are common ?

So which mode do i have to choose for those types of music ?

I do have some knowledge about minor and major scales but the "mode" thing dazzles me ...

Also, in apple loops, i never see a mode , only major or minor.

Dazzles me also hehe.

Hope to see someone who can give me some help on this !

Best,

Rob.

I just stumbled across this thread about that wonderfull Scale Remapper Environment.

First: a very big thank you for this environment !!

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it and/or find it useful...

When you look at modern dance and pop music , which modes are common ?

Anything goes these days, but I doubt you'll find a modal pop song based on a Lydian b7 scale...

I don't know much about modes ; it's quite vague to me

Google? Wikipedia?

So which mode do i have to choose for those types of music ?

Whatever sounds good to you, really.

Also, in apple loops, i never see a mode , only major or minor.

I guess they did it like that to keep it simple...

Modes can also be considered major or minor, that's determined by the third degree of the scale (or mode...a mode is a scale after all)...just like the third of a chord determines if it's major or minor.

Take for exmaple the "Acoustic Double Bass Groove 03" which is part of the apple loops library. It is labeled as being major and in the key of C. But if you play a C major scale(aka Ionian) over it it will sound weird, because that riff includes a Bb, which is not part of the C major scale.

But if you play C Mixolydian, it will sound good because Bb is part of C Mixolydian: Bb is the the seventh degree of that scale. It will also sound "major" because its 3rd degree is an E natural. So essentially, a Mixolydian scale is a major scale with a flat seventh.

Hope that helps a bit.

J.

• 4 months later...

Hi David...

That doesn't seem to properly integrate the scale remapper.

For instance on the actual remapper screen if you click the keys with your mouse no notes are heard and it doesn't display which notes are hit via the midi keyboard.

Its also not remapping any played notes.

What I want to be able to do is flick between the my chord memorizer environment and the scale remapper in an environment. The import method you suggested simply imports the remapper but it doesn't seem to be wired up in any way.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

What I want to be able to do is flick between the my chord memorizer environment and the scale remapper in an environment. The import method you suggested simply imports the remapper but it doesn't seem to be wired up in any way.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Wire things up.

Here's an example. There's a cable going from the physical input to a cable switcher. One of the Cable switcher's outputs goes to a layer with a chord memorizer, and another to the scale remapper layer. (My preferred way for making connections between layers is to option-click the objects' output triangle and choose the destination from the drop-down menu that appears. For destination objects to appear in that drop-down, their "icon" parameter must be checked in their inspector). Then you just need to make a connection from the scale remapper and chord memorizer to say, the "input notes" keyboard in the Click and Ports layer.

You could also put all the objects in the same layer if it's easier for you.

1881472945_Picture3.png.c3adae8c14a53808bd5b864cce2634f7.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you so very much for this wonderful share.

I am a really bad with logic environment and yet to fully understand it.

Can you please tell me

1.how can I import the Scale Remapper object into an old arrangement (project)?

2.how to I get the (Scale Remapper) pop up window to reopen after closing it?

3.Can I have multible (Scale Remapper) Object assigned to different instruments?

How would I go about on this.

Totally appreciate your time and effort.

Can't thank you enough.

Hey guys, glad you like it.

@eastwardaudio

1-Several ways: Options menu in the environment window > Import Environment > Layer. Locate the Scale Remapper project file and import the Scale Remapper layer into the new project.

You can also copy / paste from one project to the next. You'll have to reconnect the cables either way.

2- Open the environment window (Command+8), and go to the Scale Remapper layer. If you want to make it into a floating window (as it appears in the images posted here), control-click the window background on and chose Frameless Floating Window from the menu that appears. it's also available in the View menu.

3-The Scale Remapper is designed to affect incoming notes coming from a keyboard controller connected to the computer. Because of the way it is connected in the environment, it will affect the instrument whose track is selected/record-ready in the arrange. This should be enough if you play/record instruments one at a time. If you wanted to play several instruments at the same time with different controllers and have a unique scale for each, then you'd need more than one Scale Remapper and also follow the instructions here to be able to play/record the various instruments at once:

Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

@michael2

You don't need to keep the original file after you've saved it as your own template.

regards,

J.

Hey J

thank you so much for your advice and your great share

i can't figure out how to connect the scale remapper object to clicks and ports.

i guess i would save your original project as a template and go from there.

thank you so much again.

You're welcome.

Connecting it has been covered elsewhere in this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=376752#376752

There's also a section in the manual about making connections in the environment:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/#chapter=36%26section=5

It helps to know how the data flows in each scenario.

With the scale remapper in the file I attached to this thread it goes like this:

MIDI Controller > Physical Input object > Scale Remapper > Sequencer Input.

Regards,

J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank so much for making this!!!

I have been really enjoying making music with it.

However, I have read the previous threads but

I just can`t get it hook up in an old project template.

I able to import the scale remapper into the environment

of an old project.

But I can`t find and setup the MIDI Controller, Physical Input object

in the Logic menu.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your time and effort.

Glad you're making music with it, moon909!

But I can`t find and setup the MIDI Controller, Physical Input object

in the Logic menu.

No need to set up the MIDI controller. Here's what you need to do (assuming you've put the scale remapper in its own layer):

Open the environment window and go to the Click and Ports layer. While holding down the option (alt) key click the little triangle next to the Sum port in the Physical Input object and choose the Scale Remapper as the destination for the connection from the pop-up menu:

physical.png.e86b798c116d6aa68853b6d4271f19a5.png

Repeat the process from the Scale Remapper to the Input Notes keyboard:

scale.png.15a7182dbe1b9c88c7df6d3ea6403ff2.png

Hope that helps,

J.

Jordito,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to make this and share this. It has been a major inspiration in my songs since I found it.

I am having trouble figuring something out in my setup with it though. I use Maschine for drums and have it set up as a multi-instrument in the environment and am using logic's MIDI with Maschine's AU sounds. When I use Maschine for drums is when I run into a problem. I'm not getting my entire drum bank because the remapper seems to be 'scaling' it's notes too. It's great when I use Maschine for instruments, but drum kits not soo much. My question is: Is there anyway to turn the mapper on/off for certain AU channels? Or is there a better way for me to set Maschine up with the Scale Mapper included? Maybe I have it all wrong too. I'm a bit new to the environment. :oops:

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

i found that everybody are amaized with scale remapper...Since i am new in this can you help me please from beginning in picture(view) how to :

1.set up scale remmapper in new/old project

2.can it be use in chord memorized

Can you post a picture how to connect (with cable and other thing)please help

Since i am new in this can you help me please from beginning in picture(view) how to :

1.set up scale remmapper in new/old project

That's already been explained elsewhere in this thread (with pictures). Why don't you try and then post back if you find yourself stuck without knowing what to do next and ask specific questions?

2.can it be use in chord memorized

Not sure what you mean...but you can definitely process the scale remapper output with anything else you want, including chord memorizers.

J.

• 6 months later...
Hi... thanks for making this wonderful tool. I notice at the bottom of logic's main window where it shows the chord name, it's showing the note names correct when pressed individually but the chord names are not reflected according to the scale re-mapper. Is there a way to fix it. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kibu, glad to hear you like the Scale Remapper.

I hadn't noticed that Logic's MIDI monitor didn't show the name of chords coming out of the scale remapper. I checked it out and it's because of the Chord Memorizer objects used by the Scale Remapper. For some reason, Logic's MIDI monitor always shows the chords that come out of the chord memorizer object as the chords formed by the keys that are being actually pressed on the keyboard. If the chord memorizer is programmed to output a custom chord when certain keys are pressed, the custom chord is not shown in the monitor. Weird.

I don't know if this can be fixed, looks like a bug to me.

J.

Congratulations Jordito!

The November 2012 Sound On Sound Logic Tips & Techniques column entitled "Environmental Health" mentions you and your Scale Mapper:

"My favourite web sites for free third-party Environments are http://www.swiftkick.com and http://www.logicprohelp.com. In the forum section of the latter, there is a section called ‘Logic & Mainstage Templates & Environment’, which contains all sorts of useful free goodies that generous forum members have created and shared. Search the forum for the ‘Scale Remapper’ Environment, created by Jordito."

Congratulations Jordito!

The November 2012 Sound On Sound Logic Tips & Techniques column entitled "Environmental Health" mentions you and your Scale Mapper:

"My favourite web sites for free third-party Environments are http://www.swiftkick.com and http://www.logicprohelp.com. In the forum section of the latter, there is a section called ‘Logic & Mainstage Templates & Environment’, which contains all sorts of useful free goodies that generous forum members have created and shared. Search the forum for the ‘Scale Remapper’ Environment, created by Jordito."

Cool! Thanks for the heads up, Mr. V! :D

J.