Which Audio Interface is most reliable with Logic?

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to post this exact question and then found this topic.

My DIGI 002 has driven me way too crazy with the audio crackling and error codes and freezing up, and I need to replace it with something comparable as far as mic preamps.

My QUESTION with these recommended interfaces is: are they all in one, or do I need additional digital audio converters, mic preamps, etc...Can anyone elaborate? The digi is all in one.

And if anyone wants to be extra helpful, can you please post the price range of what you are recommending?

THANKS!

So what's best and why?:

Motu Ultralite

RME Fireface

Metric Halo ULN 2

Rosetta 200

Apogee

And do any/all of these need to be used with additional mic preamps or converters? Like I said, the DIGI 002 is all in one so if I am replacing it I need to make sure I have everything covered.

Please help!!! I REALLY REALLY appreciate any feedback. You are saving my sanity! :D

All those interfaces are all in one.

The RME Fireface is bar none the MOST reliable and stable interface with Logic. The Metric Halo is really close behind, but it is not compatible with Mac Pros yet (even the new driver is not very stable).

Well stating that in capital letters does not necessarily make it so:)

This is my second Echo Layla, first a 24 now a 3g, and they both are rock solid. In fact because they are PCI not Firewire, I would trust them more because Firewire still does not yet give you as high a track count and as solid performance as PCI. But they are not UB yet and I do not know if we will see a PCI-e version..

If you modify your statement to say that the Fireface is the bar none the MOST stable FIrewire interface then you may well be correct.

All those interfaces are all in one. The RME Fireface is bar none the MOST reliable and stable interface with Logic..

you're just saying that because you don't have the Apogee. YET.

(VERY VERY VERY BIG GRIN) :D :D :D :D :D

I have been using Apogee Ensemble interfaces since April of this year. I must have worked with about 20 of them. They have a huge potential, but forget about reliability. The drivers are just not ready yet.

The RME Firefaces are a tried and true interface, they've worked for years, and no matter how hard I try, I can't find any problems with the drivers.

David:

I'm working with an Ensemble now, and I agree; huge potential/flaky drivers.

In using 20 different units over the last several months, have you noticiced any consistent problems with them? Most of the issues I'm having with mine, like hiss level and track offset, are kind of erratic, which makes them impossible to troubleshoot.

I'm hoping that most of the problems can be solved with software updates, and that the hardware is not flawed, beacause it does sound great.

• 2 weeks later...