Audio files changing length in logic after over-view

frequently

Hi all,

So here is my problem. I have a session that has 24 tracks that are 4.31Gb's each, they are 4 hours long, recorded at 96k 24 bit, as wavs.

they play fine, but once the track overview is written they become about 10 seconds long. I don't really want to split the track for sync/archival reasons.

is there a solution to this that i'm not seeing?

thanks in advance for any help

I converted to CAF and got the same problem,

here is a screen cap.

it just happens when i open the session, it tells me my files have changed in length and when i open it up it looks like this

the bin tells me that the files are still 4gb, and i am unable to drag the tracks out any further out

2097124125_Screenshot2010-10-22at2_21_22PM.png.b655a23f02c7ca29a3c21d8f93e70beb.png

yeah aif has a 4gb file size limit, i'm just wondering if there is any way to turn overview off? because when the over views arent finished all of the files play perfectly..

Strange situation...I don't think there's a way to turn overviews (or their calculation) off.

it just happens when i open the session, it tells me my files have changed in length and when i open it up it looks like this

And these were files recorded in this same project, I suppose?

the bin tells me that the files are still 4gb, and i am unable to drag the tracks out any further out.

And if you try to drag the problem files from the bin to new tracks?

Other things to try:

Import all files to a new project.

Just as a test, convert the files to new files with another sample rate to see if you get the same behavior.

Open the files in Soundtrack Pro and see if you get the same glitch.

I suspect there's a problem related to the files size at that sample rate...or simply some sort of corruption. Hopefully just project file corruption.

J.

hey jordito

yes they were recorded all at the same time

i have already tried it in a new project, but not at a different sample rate because i want to keep them at 96k to conform with the other 18 projects that these recordings belong to.

i have tried also with different copies of the same files, in caf, aif and wav

im not sure what else to try. i uninstalled soundtrack pro cos i thought i would never use it. pretty close to giving up and changing platforms but it would be a bit annoying

i have already tried it in a new project, but not at a different sample rate because i want to keep them at 96k to conform with the other 18 projects that these recordings belong to.

Yes, that's why I said "as a test", just to see if it's related to the sample rate/file size.

im not sure what else to try. i uninstalled soundtrack pro cos i thought i would never use it. pretty close to giving up and changing platforms but it would be a bit annoying

Yes, it is annoying...if you have access to some other daw and the files are loaded fine there, then you'll know it's something specific to Logic. I've never heard of or seen such an issue, but I also haven't recorded anything at 96kHz.

Maybe someone else has seen this...

J.

it just happens when i open the session, it tells me my files have changed in length

The wav file size header doesn't match the actual file size. Probably because of them being over 4 gig. This will likely cause all kinds of trouble with these files.

What I would do is split the files in half in an editor like Peak that can load the raw PCM. Then save each half separately. If that works, load into Logic and resequence the halves. Bounce each track to caf.

It may be possible to applescript this in Soundtrack Pro, or create a workflow in Sample Manager.