Piano Roll Multi Track/Regions overlapping order

dav19pt5

Hi

i can not find an answer to this anywhere. say i have 3 tracks with midi events/notes on middle C. i want to work on all three tracks/regions in a piano roll. one of the events will be on top and the others hidden from view (underneath). with DP and pro tools the track that is armed for editing will be on top. how do i get logic to follow this behavior. how can i select which track shows its notes on top. this comes in handy when writing while there are multiple regions present in the PR.

thanks

DM

The behavior I described is for the Logic version in my signature, 9.1.0.

To check the behavior on your Logic version you could create a new empty project, create three software instrument tracks with 3 regions, one on each track, a C3 note in each region at the same bar position, give them different velocities so the notes have different colors, and select all 3 regions: which note does the Piano Roll show on top? You'll probably find a pattern, even if it's not the same as in Logic 9.

PS: You're correct, even in 9.1.0 reordering the tracks does not change the note on top. It seems like it's always the highest instrument # on top, not the lowest track in the Arrange.

yes - i verified this as well. well - thanks for verifying that its no different in 9. i'm trying to switch over from DP/Pro tools to Logic but ironically finding that its hard to write in logic (in the piano roll) because of limitations like this. its not easy changing ones work flow style - but we will see. thanks

DM

What I usually do is:

Let's say I have drums, bass and synth all displayed in the Piano Roll at the same time. If I want to edit the drums, I'll double-click one of the drum notes and I can see only the drums. Then double-click the background of the Piano Roll and I can see all 3 instruments again. Double-click one note of the bass and I can see the bass only, etc etc...

• 7 years later...
Hi guys, This is an old topic but I'm still having the problem discussed here. I am editing three different regions with overlapping notes simultaneously in the piano roll, and I want to be able to control the overlap order. I can't figure out how to do it. I'm in Logic Pro 10.3.3 on a MacBook Pro from late 2013 with 8GB of RAM. Any tips? Thanks!

You can use the event list to control which region is on top....

Here are 3 overlapping regions with 3 overlapping notes ( indistinguishable )

open the even list, and press the up arrow to display the regions

From this list, I select which overlapping region you want on top and which to edit, make changes, then move onto the next.

1851684795_overlappingnotes.thumb.gif.902e036d198fa68bb1f1e5f395786c81.gif

I want to be able to control the overlap order. I can't figure out how to do it.

It should still work as I described in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64379&p=695321#p331635 so basically you don't have much control other than reordering the regions on the tracks (which may or may not be practical depending on your workflow).

Thanks, Volovicg. Unfortunately, your solution does not accomplish what I'm looking for. I'm looking to be able to see notes from three different regions SIMULTANEOUSLY in the piano roll, and control the overlap order. I was already aware that selecting a region makes its notes appear in the piano roll. Thanks though.

Thanks, David. The thread you speak of is the thread to which I replied. And, after further experimentation based on one of your suggestions from 8 years ago, I think I figured it out: it appears that the order in which tracks are created determines the overlap order of their notes in the piano role, and that notes from regions on the most-recently-created track will be on the frontmost (or "top") layer in the piano roll. As far as I can tell, once tracks have been created, there is no way to change the layering order of their respective regions in the piano roll, which is too bad. Thanks!

Thanks, David. The thread you speak of is the thread to which I replied.

Yes, I know, I just redirected you to the specific post with the relevant information.

And, after further experimentation based on one of your suggestions from 8 years ago, I think I figured it out: it appears that the order in which tracks are created determines the overlap order of their notes in the piano role, and that notes from regions on the most-recently-created track will be on the frontmost (or "top") layer in the piano roll. As far as I can tell, once tracks have been created, there is no way to change the layering order of their respective regions in the piano roll, which is too bad. Thanks!

Like I said, a workaround is to change the order of the regions on the tracks, which may or may not be practical for you.

David, you are right and I apologize for my misunderstanding. This issue had me going nuts because it seemed like there was no rhyme or reason to it. But you were absolutely correct when you said "basically you don't have much control other than reordering the regions on the tracks" - the region with the latest start time displays on the top layer in the piano roll, and for some reason I didn't get that part the the first time. That is something I can control, and a viable workaround (a bit clunky, but whatever). Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly and helping me resolve this annoying little issue.