Quick cutting question

iamribbons

Hey guys, I'm relatively new at all of this and I must say this forum is a MUST READ for any newbie, etc. The only question I had for now is if theres any way i can evenly cut selected audio in the arrange/anywhere else. (Say I have a beat or sample, and I just want to cut it into 4 bar strips without manually doing it.)

Any advice or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Select the Scissors tool and option-click the Region at the desired slice position. In your example, that would be four bars down the timeline. Make sure to zoom in close enough in order to cut at the exact position, otherwise the slices won't line up with the timeline - unless, of course, there's a way to force the cut to the nearest Snap position... Anyone?

[edit] As I just found out, the tool snaps by default according to the Snap parameter in the top right of the Arrange window. So much for self support... :wink:

Best regards,

Gert

You can adjust how you want the clips to snap depending on the setting you give it up at that top right menu. I haven't had to use anything other than 'smart' so I'm unsure what the rest are actually good for. Let me know if you find out; I hate feeling so bewildered by some of this stuff!

The Snap parameter basically determines the grid resolution when placing or moving around regions in the Arrange area. You'll find the different options when you click and hold the "Snap" drop-down menu in the upper right corner of the Arrange page.

The "bar", "beat" and "format" items are most useful for music production, as they are musically significant. The last pair of items ("frames" and "QF" or "quarter frames") are mainly used in post production contexts, allowing you to sync a Region tightly to a movie clip. The "tick" option locks to the finest timing unit available in Logic - in effect, this option might just as well have been called "disable snap".

When you select the "smart" option, Logic will try to read your mind (!) and figure out the most logical unit you would want a Region to snap to, given the current screen layout and zoom settings. So when you have your Song fully zoomed out, Logic will probably snap to the nearest bar; when you're working at higher zoom levels, you'll notice your Region will snap to finer subdivisions.

Best regards,

Gert