Changing plugin presets and modifying concert-level FXs

drf

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I started messing around with Mainstage a few weeks ago with the intent of moving to a computer-based solution for my band's gigs... and I have to say I am enjoying it very much!

However, I got stuck with two issues which might be due to my poor understanding of the program.

The first one is about changing parameters of a bus in a patch. Whenever I create a send on a channel, a new bus is created at concert-level. When I switch between patches, I usually want to change some parameters on the bus itself depending on the patch. For the moment, I found a solution by mapping screen controls patch-level and editing values there - is there a more comfortable way for doing this?

The second issue I am stuck with is if whether it is possible to tell Mainstage to change preset in a specific plugin. Let's suppose I have a bus with Delay Designer on it, and I want to switch from the 1/4 Dotted preset to the 1/8 preset: is there any way for doing this? I tried mapping several controls but no go. Even if there was a way for changing this when a patch changes (consider that I'm always talking about a bus) it would be more than fine.

Thanks in advance for any advices!

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure about what you mean specifically in your first question, but here is some info.

You can definitely map screen controls to your midi contoller or just to be clicked with the mouse. Just create 1 or more buttons or other controls in Layout mode. Then in edit mode click a button and you can then assign it to a plethora of functions including mapping plugin controls on any channel strip/plugin. You can also use the "Map Parameter' shorcut; once clicked adjust the parameter you want control over and it will be detected if it's controlable. You can also assign buttons to change presets within a plugin in the same way.

I'm not sure if that's what you are asking exactly, but I hope it helps anyway.

The first one is about changing parameters of a bus in a patch. Whenever I create a send on a channel, a new bus is created at concert-level. When I switch between patches, I usually want to change some parameters on the bus itself depending on the patch. For the moment, I found a solution by mapping screen controls patch-level and editing values there - is there a more comfortable way for doing this?

As you have noticed, creating a Send at Patch level introduces an Aux channel at Concert level.

One solution is to create an Aux at Patch or Set level first, assign it's input to a Bus, and then Send to that Bus. You can then choose different FX or Channel Strips on a Patch or Set basis.

HTH

CCT