Sudden Blasts of White Noise

Plax

...my assumption was/is the 2bus feeds the headphones/speakers...not so?

The mortal white blasts don't care what´s on the 2bus. They kill your eardrums. It's a noise  blast from hell. But like I said before since  I stopped using USB I'm fine. No blasts with Focusrite firewire or TC electronics firewire. RME usb: blasts from hell.

Hmm

So this problem of white noise blasts persists since my first post six years ago.

What I did back then to generate the problem was glue two separate audio files together into a single file in a single region.

On playback the white noise blast was so bad it distorted the coils in my Quested speakers - scary.

My audio unit is firewire, not USB, so I would not be sure if that is a global answer?

I never tracked down exactly what the cause may be - it happened a few times, once with iTunes mp3 playback, so my assumption is that it happens during the iMAC audio processing or external audio unit (Motu), but not in  Logic. Since then I have limited my external master volume for final playback. I still have had occasional blasts over the years - but never dangerously loud, just annoying. No solution. Only control of the problem.

"The mortal white blasts don't care what´s on the 2bus"...so are you saying the source may be coming from the CoreAU output itself, post then final lpx output? In which case the white noise events should/could occur with or without lpx in use. In the past (b4 ice9) I've had my head ripped off several times, never outside of lpx however, and not particularly traceable to anything inside of lpx. I do know some instrument/synth "preset" patches seem to be supplied at like +110DBFS though.../s~

...whooooa!...I assume with a screen capture you can replicate, yes?...normally I would suggest posting to apple support, but with a hackintosh, not so much...at this point there are just way too many "variables" here for me to even hazard a guess...but please, keep us informed...Cheers!.../s~

are you saying the source may be coming from the CoreAU output itself

After all these years without the problem I just got my head ripped open again with a mighty blast of white noise - but not on LPX - just listening to iTunes library at lowest volume setting in  iTunes and with my master Audio unit set at minus 28dB for monitoring system output. The mp3 music was barley audible in my studio. The White noise was off the scale and had me reaching for the master kill switch.

I had quit LPX one hour ago - so this is not just an LPX problem. What was different this time was Time Machine had kicked in after midnight for a backup run and I can only assume that the iMAC CoreAU was not happy.

• 4 years later...

Hello. I am now one of the unlucky ones, had an extremely loud digital feedback/noise happening when starting playback of a just opened project. Don't know If anyone has experienced this on the M1, or just me? MacBook Air 16gb.

I downloaded and installed Ice9 but can't find it among the plug ins or in the plug in manager ;( Saw someone mention that if it's not purely white noise happening, (I could hear sounds from the project playing) it's another problem than the "blast from hell"? Scary as hell.

Do you guys think the Ice9 will help me not to get this bug again? And if anyone know why it's not showing up in logic please say so.

Many thanks.