How to draw automation for all 16 channels?

WickedMusicMachine

hello,

my question is: how to draw and edit automation data such as modulation to apply on all (or select multiple) channels within one track?

in the hyper draw i can choose any of the channels. then there is "Any" that seems to be a bug or a dud because when "any" is selected the drawn automation data goes on track one and not on all of them as one can see in the event list.

on my midi controller (roland a 90) i can activate 4 channels at the same time and record automation data to 4 channels simultaneously. but i do not want this just for recording. i want it when i draw an automation curve to be automatically apllied or duplicated to other channels.

do i need to fritz with the environment with transformers and such? if so i would be very grateful for getting a step-by-step walkthrough.... anybody have an idea?

Have you tried setting your Output channel strip to the 'Read' setting? That makes it show up in the Arrange window, and from there you can just automate that track only, and all tracks would do whatever you automate in the Output track.

For multiple tracks, but not all, I would just send the tracks you want to automate to an unused Bus, then automate the bus in the same way described above.

I hope I am seeing this like you want me to. Tell me if that helps at all.

For multiple tracks, but not all, I would just send the tracks you want to automate to an unused Bus, then automate the bus in the same way described above.

I hope I am seeing this like you want me to. Tell me if that helps at all.

thank you for your response!

i have tried to route it through another bus, but there i have the same problem.

on the bus track the automation data AGAIN cannot be set to all or any or anything that would result in ALL 16 midi channels to be affected by one automation curve.

maybe i am the one not understanding it right but just to clarify...

- i have one track.

- it is a kontakt instance with violin section instruments (lass).

- because i am using divisi, i end up with notes on the same track that are assigned to different midi channels. each divisi section has a different midi channel.

- i do NOT want to use it as multi instrument because i do not want to split up the notes over different tracks.

now, regardless which channel is playing or which articulation is playing, i want to draw one single curve of automation data to control everything and all channels that are in this track.

just like volume and pan. those are somehow hardwired with logic and people have trouble separating them for their multi instruments. i want to go the opposite way. i want the other cc's to be applied to all channels throughout.

how can i achieve this?

There you go:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=27%26section=6%26tasks=true

FWIW there's no need to select "automation selection" in your group settings, that's only for grouping the selection of an automation mode (so if you set one track to "latch", all the tracks in the group are set to "latch"). The grouping of automation is automatic once you automate a track that's part of a group.

There you go:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=27%26section=6%26tasks=true

FWIW there's no need to select "automation selection" in your group settings, that's only for grouping the selection of an automation mode (so if you set one track to "latch", all the tracks in the group are set to "latch"). The grouping of automation is automatic once you automate a track that's part of a group.

thank you - i have it setup.

it seems to work with volume but not with modulation - maybe i am doing something wrong?

• 1 year later...

I've been searching for this one as well, i tried to set it up like this:

top line:

Channel: =, 1

bottom line

Channel: Fix, 2 (or any other channel)

connect the output of your Kontakt instrument to the input, and the output to the input of the channel

the underlined doesn't work. Why is soft.inst channel strip ignoring my environment midi input?