Why cant score editor show pitch bends as slur automatically

Scotopia

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum (first post) so please be gentle. I was having some trouble making a simple slur in logic using the piano role (using a string ensemble software instrument), and so I came here and read a variety of threads on glissando, portamento and the like. If I understand it correctly the consensus goes a little something like this:

You can't accomplish this by dragging things in the piano roll; so you have to mess with the pitch bend parameter in the hyper editor or record the performance with your keyboard and use the pitch bend wheel.

The issue I have with this is that the bended pitch is not reflected in the musical notation in the score editor at all, you'd have to put the ties in by hand, "eyeballing" it. From reading it seems like the issue is that the score editor only displays raw midi note input, where the pitch bends and the like are automation data and automation data is not represented in the score editor. So, in conclusion I have a few questions:

1. Does this mean no automation data ever affects the score editor display information (like even a crescendo by gradually automating a volume increase does NOT show up as a crescendo in the score without you hand putting it in?

2. (assuming the above is yes) Why? Isn't logic a sophisticated program enough to analyze the midi data in conjunction with automation date to figure out whats going on? Even simple programs I had back in the day like Guitar Pro would know to add the notation for crescendo and such if I did the equivalent of an automation volume increase.

I have some more follow up questions to this, but I think this is good for my first (hopefully non-idiotic) question post. Thanks in advance!

1. Does this mean no automation data ever affects the score editor display information (like even a crescendo by gradually automating a volume increase does NOT show up as a crescendo in the score without you hand putting it in?

Correct. Not sure how it could ever be accurately reflected in a score. Think about this... Let's say you use a set of sample in which one of the articulations is p p. To trigger that sample you play a note. That's it. Hold it long enough and it plays that gesture. OK, so now let's look at another situation:

You have a different string sound from another library and in order to create that same gesture you have to ride the volume up and down (volume automation). And now one more situation...

You have a sustained string sound that's perfectly balanced at a fader level of 0dB for the top of the piece, but a few measures later, in order to balance it with the rest of your instrumentation you have to mix it a little hotter. The perception is that it's playing at the same dynamic level as before, but the engineering (mixing) aspects causes a change in the actual level of the track.

Taking all 3 scenarios into consideration, there's no possible way that Logic or any DAW could guess how -- or even IF -- you want those dynamics to be interpreted in the score. It certainly can't deduce from a note triggering a p p crescendo that the actual sound produces that dynamic. And besides, the kinds of level changes that occur while using samples, regardless of the reason, can never be equated exactly to any particular musical dynamic of ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, f, fff.

So it's not a matter of Logic being not sophisticated. What you're asking for is simply impossible for any machine, or software of any kind, to interpret for purposes of marking up a score.

Thanks for the informative reply; I see what you mean. Now...that makes me think about the question from the other direction, however: Say in the score editor I notate a slur between two notes (say a quarter note A tied to a quarter note B, wouldn't logic know that i want to "bend" from the A to the B and be able to represent that however it needs to be represented (half note A with pitch bend automation or whatever)? It just seems like there has to be a more friendly way to do this: I mean like coming from scoring with a pencil and paper where you just draw a line between 2 notes and everyone knows (at least generally) whats supposed to happen: logic can't take an educated guess? (or maybe there are plugins that help it do so in cases like this?)

Thanks again!