I thought softsynths were sample accurate?

john909kid

One of the said big issues where softsynths trump hardware is in their supposed timing accuracy within the host DAW. The is meant to be sample accurate. So out of nothing else better to do i thought i run a few examples on two of my soft synths picked out at random. From two AU tracks, i then created audio files, and checked the timing in the sample editor. However what i've found is not what i expected..... the timing of each note, without fail, is coming in EARLY off the grid. Ok granted it's not by much.. at the most extreme case I found 35 samples early, which is touching the 1ms region. But this offset was not consistent and there was jitter taking place, with each note coming in early off the grid.

This was Logic 9, with audio buffer at 32 samples, tested with PPG 3.V and Pro V synths. No effects on the AU tracks, PDC set to audio and software ins tracks.

As I said i know it's not by much and i'm being extremely geeky about this, but I found it baffling as to why the notes are not bang on the grid as i'd expected them to be, but jittering and coming in EARLY?

What's going on?

Here's a few screens:

[image too wide removed by moderator - Please keep all screenshots below 800 pixels, thanks. Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#8 )]

1870017686_Screenshot2011-01-21at22_39_18.jpg.d33506976cc62721778114984620c119.jpg

966365721_Screenshot2011-01-21at22_47_32.jpg.c5789693c271cae763ca2a769fa6c376.jpg

One of the said big issues where softsynths trump hardware is in their supposed timing accuracy within the host DAW. The is meant to be sample accurate. So out of nothing else better to do i thought i run a few examples on two of my soft synths picked out at random. From two AU tracks, i then created audio files, and checked the timing in the sample editor. However what i've found is not what i expected..... the timing of each note, without fail, is coming in EARLY off the grid. Ok granted it's not by much.. at the most extreme case I found 35 samples early, which is touching the 1ms region. But this offset was not consistent and there was jitter taking place, with each note coming in early off the grid.

This was Logic 9, with audio buffer at 32 samples, tested with PPG 3.V and Pro V synths. No effects on the AU tracks, PDC set to audio and software ins tracks.

As I said i know it's not by much and i'm being extremely geeky about this, but I found it baffling as to why the notes are not bang on the grid as i'd expected them to be, but jittering and coming in EARLY?

What's going on?

Here's a few screens:

[image too wide removed by moderator - Please keep all screenshots below 800 pixels, thanks. Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#8 )]

People that waste their time with these kinds of tests are amusing. I recall a similar post about ultrabeat.

My question is, can you hear 35 samples?

People that waste their time with these kinds of tests are amusing. I recall a similar post about ultrabeat.

My question is, can you hear 35 samples?

Glad i made you smile,

As i said i was asking out of interest why it's happening?

And more interestingly why notes are coming in EARLY??

Weird... you have these softsynth sequenced with midi or what? Are you going from midi to a bus and recording off that? I'm just trying to picture the path of data here. Is the midi data jumping the gun, too?

I created an AU/synth track and pasted the midi notes in with the pencil tool, hard quantised, Creating a one bar sequence of crotchets, and in the region parameter set it to loop.

Had two methods of recording the AU to audio.... first i sent the AU to a Bus, then created an audio track with the input as the bus. Recorded the audio.

Second and quicker method was to select the regions and then to select export region to audio file.

Both methods resulting audio files produced the exact same results.

Notes coming in early and jittering.

No effects anywhere. Created in a new empty Logic project. PDC set to audio and softsynth tracks.

Its weird !!! :shock: