Best method of parallel processing to avoid phasing issues?

Hi there, whats the best method to parallel process a source without having any issues with delay?

So far I have figured on two methods..

A) send a sources output to a bus and then pick up that bus on an two aux's, one for dry (mild eq/comp) and one forheavy processing.

B) use a send on the source instead, or send the source to an aux and then use a send from that aux routed to another aux for the processing..

is there any advantages to using one of these techniques over the other?

Thanks, Joanna

Or C) Drag the regions to a duplicate track and insert your processing there. Group them in automation. This lets you quickly swipe portions of the audio with the marquee tool and delete them where you don't need the parallel processing to occur. I've just found that easier/quicker than automating the mute. :wink:

Thank you for the replies fellas!

Ok, so I've created a screenshot of my current project, does this look ok?

Coming from a pro tools background, this is the way I used to set up my sessions, with A being drums/bass, B being guitars, C vocals, and D strings/keys etc..but sometimes it all just went straight to the main outputs.

Essentially I've tried to re-create this in Logic (which I prefer!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/wizprodux#p/a/u/2/0dBbpw32l4I

In this example, he's using sends for the parallel compression, where as I have just picked up the same bus for the kick and snare groups,on my parallel auxes.

I really appreciate the input guys, as this is my first mix in Logic and really want to carry this system over with me.

thanks, Jo

1162259194_Screenshot2011-01-23at10_16_03.png.1d64ac3168a9f9f6854a59530670b9bd.png

Edited by mrt101

Try Linear Phase EQ on the buses. Make sure full PDC is enabled.

Joanna, lagerfeldt is correct in that you must use linear phase EQ when parallel processing, unless you WANT to create phasing effects! Even then I wouldn't recommend it as it's just too hard to control. It looks like you're doing some sharp notching on that kick aux and that's going to knock the phase around at different frequencies.

The good news is that you can directly replace a Channel EQ with a Linear EQ and the Linear EQ will retain the exact same settings that you have. So it's an easy fix.

If you NEED the Channel EQ because you need that particular sound, then just be sure the Channel EQ on your parallel path has the exact same settings, always.

Good luck with it.