Turning down volume on multiple channels?

CBla

I have a large amount of tracks in a certain song that I tracked a bit too hot, causing clipping in the master bus. What I need to do is bring the faders down on all of them at the same ratio, but a lot of the tracks have volume automations, and from experience, I know that moving a fader does not affect the automation.

Is there some box I can check that will cause moving the fader to adjust the level in the automation, too?

Hopefully this makes sense. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I guess so, but this is a ~60 track song, and about 20 of those tracks I need to lower at once, and that would be way too many extra busses, I think.

Could I group all of them and somehow give them their own master buss or something?

Or maybe there is some other way to do this....

To adjust all the Automation on a single track...

With the automation lanes visible, hold down command and Click/Hold and drag up or down on the numerical value or yellow slider next to it in the track header.

To adjust all the Automation on multiple tracks...

First, make sure volume automation is shown for the relevant tracks.

Group the tracks (either permanently or temp.)

Use the Marquee Tool to mark the area you want to edit (on one of the tracks) or if you want to select all of the nodes on the track simply Command Click the Yellow volume slider in the header of that track. Raise or lower the volume by dragging the yellow automation line with the mouse.

Immediately after you have completed your edit, the edit will be copied to the automation on the other tracks.

Simply lower the fader of the Stereo Out until the clipping goes away. :shock:

I always thought it was bad technique to do this, and it's better to reduce gain on individual tracks to keep the stereo bus from clipping...

can anyone confirm this?

Simply lower the fader of the Stereo Out until the clipping goes away. :shock:

I always thought it was bad technique to do this, and it's better to reduce gain on individual tracks to keep the stereo bus from clipping...

can anyone confirm this?

The search term relevant to this is: 32-bit floating point mix bus

Yes, it's usually better workflow and best practice to reduce individual tracks, but if you've already got your balance set, it's no big deal to reduce the output and will not degrade the sound quality.

• 8 months later...
I tried routing them to one bus and control it from there, but that didn't really work out :(

Check your routing: make sure you set the outputs (under the i/o section of your channel strip) of the individual tracks to a bus. Do not send to the bus. Then grab the fader on the Aux that Logic creates for that bus and turn it down. That Aux is now your sub-mix for whatever tracks have their output set to that bus.

I tried routing them to one bus and control it from there, but that didn't really work out :(

Check your routing: make sure you set the outputs (under the i/o section of your channel strip) of the individual tracks to a bus. Do not send to the bus. Then grab the fader on the Aux that Logic creates for that bus and turn it down. That Aux is now your sub-mix for whatever tracks have their output set to that bus.

Thanks, but problem is that send effects aren't affected by the fader. How can I change that? Basically I want the bus-fader to physically move all the track faders with it so it always sends the right signal amount to send effects.

In short, linking all the aders together.

Thanks, but problem is that send effects aren't affected by the fader. How can I change that? Basically I want the bus-fader to physically move all the track faders with it so it always sends the right signal amount to send effects.

In short, linking all the aders together.

Maybe you should look into groups instead: Working with Mixer Groups