Working with Buses

I am working with some drums in Logic and use SSL, Waves, and other Audio Units on them. I was wondering if I should be building the Channel Strip with each AU for each track? or should I be bringing in Buses on each of the Audio Units I am using?

For instance a Bass Drum with no Plugins on the underneath of the track but a Bus of the plugins I am using on it to EQ and Compress?

THANKS

It's an impossible question to answer. Both methods will give you different results, so only you know what your drums sound like, what you would like them to sound like, what the arrangement is, what the mix sounds like, what the genre is, what the orchestration is, etc etc... you could even combine both methods if you wanted.

If you want to compress the snare individually, put a comp on the snare, if you want to compress the kick individually, put a comp on the kick, if you want to compress the whole kit, set the outputs of all the drum channel strips to a bus, and put the comp on the corresponding Aux channel strip. If you don't know what they would sound like, try both methods and listen.

If you're new to compression, you may want to practice compressing a kick or a snare for a while every day, trying the different parameters, listening for the changes in the sound, until you really get it.

It's an impossible question to answer. Both methods will give you different results, so only you know what your drums sound like, what you would like them to sound like, what the arrangement is, what the mix sounds like, what the genre is, what the orchestration is, etc etc... you could even combine both methods if you wanted.

If you want to compress the snare individually, put a comp on the snare, if you want to compress the kick individually, put a comp on the kick, if you want to compress the whole kit, set the outputs of all the drum channel strips to a bus, and put the comp on the corresponding Aux channel strip. If you don't know what they would sound like, try both methods and listen.

If you're new to compression, you may want to practice compressing a kick or a snare for a while every day, trying the different parameters, listening for the changes in the sound, until you really get it.

Cheers, Thanks.

I would always wonder about this. I am going to try and send the Channel Strips to a Bus. I never thought about it like that. I have some Fairchield AU's I am wanting to put to use.

THANKS