How to change delay line params with midi controller

basil

The FM says...

"One situation in which you might use an alias assigner is when switching a delay line alias between different originals (different delay line objects), each set to different delay times. This method is one of several ways to provide MIDI control over delay time."

Since I have no freaking idea what alias assigner is I am very interested in what the SEVERAL other ways are. I hope one is ... ah...." tweak CC#xx for delay time."

Oh god I hope so.

Is there a Midi Map available for Instruments/ effects and particularly environment objects like the delay line / arpeggiator (besides "offsets to the base") ?

I haven't done this in a while, but I used to do something similar by using a cable switcher (Environment local menu new>fader>specials>cable switcher) to switch between delay lines of different values.

I would use a hardware MIDI controller to send a CC to control the cable switcher value. You can set the cable switcher input Channel, CC, and Range by selecting it and editing its properties in the inspector on the left.

Some thoughts:

1. Drag the cable switcher to the arrange window (grab it by its name, cursor will turn into hand with pointed finger) and select it in order to control it with physical controller/record midi date for its actions. Or hardwire it if you prefer.

2. Have one of the cables go directly to the instrument you want to control, so you can bypass the delay lines .

3. Set the range of your hardware controller to match the range of the cable switcher, otherwise you'll go nuts trying to use the bottom %1 of a fader's range to control a bunch of values. E.g. if you are switching between 5 delay lines and 1 direct connection, set the range of the cable switcher and the physical control fader from 0-5.

4. If you might want to use your cable switcher/delay line contraption with different instruments, cable everything to a monitor (which is just acting as a dumb node), then just connect the output of the monitor to the desired destination, rather than having to reconnect every delay line. Or, connect everything to another channel switcher, and the cable switcher's outputs to any desired instruments. Then you can switch just by changing the value of that cable switcher.

Hope that helps,