Midi In button: 2 kinds of red?

jbto

hi, i'm on page 161 of David's book doing the step input thing and it seems to be kind off and on, not predictable -- sometimes it works, sometimes nothing.

i noticed that it seemed to work when the input button was red but the icon in black is not filled in (see pics attaced); when it's red but the midi cable icon is blackened, step input does not work.

it seems kinda random. can you please tell me why it has two different looks, what the black icon version means? when i click in Midi In many times it doesn't seem to toggle the two different red buttons in a set way -- it seems random when the black-icon one shows up.

a bug? or what am i not getting?

thanks.

1274473639_Screenshot2011-01-31at11_42_12PM.png.b95e59ff1eaa4bf5f34bc9d821eb4700.png

801404310_Screenshot2011-01-31at11_41_43PM.png.6f1a144fd3bd05878d44783066750b17.png

hi, i'm on page 161 of David's book doing the step input thing and it seems to be kind off and on, not predictable -- sometimes it works, sometimes nothing.

i noticed that it seemed to work when the input button was red but the icon in black is not filled in (see pics attaced); when it's red but the midi cable icon is blackened, step input does not work.

That's normal. If you single click the button you won't see black connector. If you double-click or option-click as seeren said, you will see it. That's a feature that is explained in "Editing Notes with a MIDI Keyboard" on p187 of my book - so you're just about 26 pages away! :D

great thanks to both of you.

i had no clue that i was double clicking it (too much enthusiasm or impatience).

i'm glad it's not a bug. i did a board and google search first to make sure it wasn't addressed elsewhere and while i didn't get a direct answer some guy was talking about how when "Logic gets drunk, you need a re-start" or to reset Preferences.

that scared the heck out of me -- the idea of a new install.

thanks again!

It's extremely rare that you need to do a re-install of Logic when something doesn't seem to be operating correctly. So if anyone ever gives you that advice, seriously, "just say no!" as there are many kinds of troubleshooting you can do before going those extremes. And reinstalling won't cure bugs. Doing things like trashing preferences may fix some bad behavior (and is an operation that shouldn't be done with regularity) but that's different from a bug. Bugs are problems with Logic's programming, and reinstalling doesn't fix that kind of stuff. Only software updates do.

And if/when you run into trouble, just post here about it, as there are many people who can take you step-by-step in the troubleshooting process. And FWIW, I've had problems with Logic spanning over many years, but I was always able to solve them without having to resort to a re-install.

And indeed, the MIDI In button indeed has two states. I don't want to be a "spoiler" so read David's book and you'll have the answers!

Cheers,

Ski

^^^ good to know that re-installs are not necessary.

this site is great. combined with David's book (the best of its kind; i bought the Logic 8 and 9 just for any little updates as i'm happy to support such great resources), it's the best.

i'm so glad i left the PC world and Cubase (and Steinberg) behind. can i say that here? the support there was not at this level, to put it mildly.

cheers!

'm so glad i left the PC world and Cubase (and Steinberg) behind. can i say that here? the support there was not at this level, to put it mildly.

You can indeed say that here. And the more you say how much you love David's book and us moderators you can say it even louder. :lol: