saving more than one mix in a project? [SOLVED]

highly illogical

Is it possible to save more than one mix in a project? I'd like to be able to switch back and forth to compare different mixes of the same song. Are there "snapshots" somewhere that store the mix? Or do I only get one mix and have to do a "save as" for each different mix?

thanks

I found the search button and found the answer. NO snapshots. Sorry for adding clutter here.

• 2 months later...

I have the same question! Collecting tracks this way will do the job nicely. My one concern is that I'm pushing the limit on my system with instruments vs. ram/cpu and doubling the tracks might be a problem. Is there any other way anyone knows of to save multiple mixes within a project?

Thanks!

You could always pack all your tracks into a Folder and call it Mix#1. Then duplicate that folder and call it Mix #2. Then to compare mixes just solo the one you want to hear.

You could always pack all your tracks into a Folder and call it Mix#1. Then duplicate that folder and call it Mix #2. Then to compare mixes just solo the one you want to hear.

Huh? No.. I mean all your tracks would still be using the same channel strips, with the same settings - so while that techniques would work great for different Arrangements, it wouldn't work for different mixes.

Why not save multiple projects? That's what I do. File > Save As and name it "Mix1", then "Mix2", etc...

Yup that's what I do too, but since it takes a while to load instruments, etc, i was looking for a way to do it in one project.

But I see what you're saying about the folder idea (I think). I could use the Track/New WIth Same Channel Strip/Instrument for all the tracks, create a second set of tracks of the piece, and do a different automated mix for each collection of tracks.

Huh? No.. I mean all your tracks would still be using the same channel strips, with the same settings - so while that techniques would work great for different Arrangements, it wouldn't work for different mixes.

Why not save multiple projects? That's what I do. File > Save As and name it "Mix1", then "Mix2", etc...

But I see what you're saying about the folder idea (I think). I could use the Track/New WIth Same Channel Strip/Instrument for all the tracks

Then all your tracks would still be using the same channel strips, with the same settings, etc. For alternate mix, you'd need to actually duplicate the track: Track > New with Duplicate Settings. Then you can change the settings on the duplicate without affecting the original.

You could use the Bounce in place and Group the tracks you will be comparing.

The common tracks do not need to be placed into a group. To compare, you can mute one group mix in order to hear the other group mix.

This will mean you have the original tracks plus the grouped mixes. With a max of 255 Audio tracks, you could be limited to a few mixes or many mixes, depending on how many (or few) tracks you need to bounce.

This can get pretty confusing and in the end, it is easier to what David suggested. If you Bounce the project file, you could compare the different mixes using Quicktime.

Otherwise, you will have to use the Environment to build a virtual mixer to compare as many snapshots as you like.

2075516707_Picture2.gif.f3682eef5d6cb758fcd05113e1886171.gif