Playlists? Looking for workflow suggestions

Jonly Bonly

Hi,

I've recently switched from Pro-tools to Logic Pro and so far I'm very happy with Logic.

I've read Martin Sitter's book on Logic and I'm starting to get a good grasp of things. However, I DO have a workflow question.

Previously, when tracking vocals in Pro-tools, I used the PLAYLIST option. Basically, I would record engage ONE track and make new playlists for each new vocal pass. I would then comp from from the playlists.

As far as I know, Logic DOESN'T have a playlist option. So I was wondering if anyone has some workflow tips for recording and organizing multiple takes. Especially from Ex-Pro Tools users would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

Joined this forum just to chime in on this issue. I have the same frustration with organizing takes, especially when working with multiple tracks (drum recording being the worst). 'Auto Create Tracks in Cycle Record' only seems to work with the track selected, even when multiple tracks are record enabled (pretty much unfeasible when doing drums, anyway, more likely a bass or 2-mic guitar).

The folder thing only works after the initial takes are done, no? And keeping the various takes of a drum kit recording (say 10 tracks) straight while editing would be difficult this way. Locating to markers later in the session works for drums, but is pretty much unfeasible when overdubbing. This isn't really very conducive to comping, either.

My question is, is there a way to create multiple instances of a group of tracks at once in Arrange, in the way Ctrl-Return creates a new instance of the selected track? If I could select all regions of the previous pass, color them the same, and then mute them, I think this would save me a lot of time (edits could be done by selecting equal colors).

I do appreciate being able to 'see everything' in Arrange in a way that I cannot in PT, but this problem continually slows me down, and makes the thought of using PT for parts of my sessions seem almost attractive...

Almost.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Best, Marcel

I refer you to my post in this thread for tips on single track compiling:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=7246

Quickly creating multiple tracks in Logic is one of it's major shortcomings.

When tracking a band I find it easier to just keep the "tape" running and record the takes sequentially on the same tracks.

You can then create more tracks and stack up your takes while the band take a break.

Either that, or just create lots of empty tracks before you start tracking. A job for your assistant, maybe?

Use the Group function for editing multiple tracks.

Thanks, Chrisbrownsound.

I had actually thought of creating a (relatively large) Song Template to start sessions with, with (say) 10 instances of each track that I planned to use for basics. I was just wondering if there may be a better way that I was not aware of. Still seems better to me than the 'let the tape roll' method, as I invariably mangle something doing it this way.

No big deal really, just build it once and open it that way every time, different icons to keep the 'virtual' track groups recognizable or such...

Assistant?

I've heard tell of those, from time to time...

LOL

Thanks again.

Best, Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
You could just pack all your takes in a folder: Region > Folder > Pack Folder.

Personally I think Logic makes it so much easier to comp takes since you can see them all at once. I don't get how people can comp takes in Pro Tools.

On this we disagree. IMHO PTs playlist makes it far easier to pick and choose regions to comp.

Logic's Audio Window could be used as a playlist if it were scalable so that we could actually see a great number of regions at once but unfortunatley it is not.

>>For this, I definitely use folder tracks, all takes stacked vertically, and use the mute tool<<

I tried this and it was a pain in the neck, especially on drums. Broke them out of the folders and all hell broke loose. Please,Please Please gimme playlists!

Hi,

I've recently switched from Pro-tools to Logic Pro and so far I'm very happy with Logic.

I've read Martin Sitter's book on Logic and I'm starting to get a good grasp of things. However, I DO have a workflow question.

Previously, when tracking vocals in Pro-tools, I used the PLAYLIST option. Basically, I would record engage ONE track and make new playlists for each new vocal pass. I would then comp from from the playlists.

As far as I know, Logic DOESN'T have a playlist option. So I was wondering if anyone has some workflow tips for recording and organizing multiple takes. Especially from Ex-Pro Tools users would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

The Advanced Logic Pro 7 Apple Training Series book from Peach Pit Press written by David Dvorin has a good section on comping vocals in Logic.

Hi,

thanks

The Advanced Logic Pro 7 Apple Training Series book from Peach Pit Press written by David Dvorin has a good section on comping vocals in Logic.

It does indeed and it is the methodology I use.

I still would like playlists:)

>>For this, I definitely use folder tracks, all takes stacked vertically, and use the mute tool<<

I tried this and it was a pain in the neck, especially on drums. Broke them out of the folders and all hell broke loose. Please,Please Please gimme playlists!

No need to break them.....

stacked folders with each take, yeah

then two stacked arrange windows in their own screenset

top one has the folders, all muted, bottom one is yellow linked

top window has mute as right click tool, bottom one has scissors

whenever you click a folder in the top window all those tracks appear in the bottom window and you can hear only that take, if you're using the right-click mute tool.

cut and paste to your hearts content!

EDIT: forgot this - click on one of the tracks in the destination folder before pasting.

Edited by camillo jr

Camillo-

Thanks for icing the cake! That definitely goes in the why-didn't-i-start-doing- that-years-ago box.

How many times do ProTools users say to themselves "Can't wait to get back into the studio to try that out"? Not as often as we.

OK, enough smugness. I'm starting to feel like that irritating hipster git in the mac ads.

whenever you click a folder in the top window all those tracks appear in the bottom window and you can hear only that take.

cut and paste to your hearts content!

Wicked. All of a sudden this makes sense to me, sounded like a complicated mess when I first read it, now it sounds like a great idea...

So I leave the original track objects that the regions were recorded on in the top arrange and assemble my master take on them (dragging or cutting-and-pasting the selected passages out of the folders' contents in the bottom arrange onto the tracks)?

Can I drag and drop (assuming I keep the horizontal zoom the same in the two windows to keep bar rulers and SPL aligned)?

Best, Marcel

Sooo many ways... use open track objects to assemble the track or use one folder that has the best take. I've been using cut and paste but believe it or not It didn't occure to me to use drag and drop with this! I get hard wired into some routines and yep, d and d works too. I prefer to use one master folder that I chop out the bits that I know I don't want, like the crap fill at the end of the second verse and then I go hunting in the other folders

The advantage of using the folders is that you can have everything muted except the folder you're currently listening too. And really, this is eaaassy to set up, takes maybe 10 seconds and it's done.

ok then how do you paste mulitple tracks to multiple different tracks assuming you're not using folders? New guy and the copying/pasting is different then what I'm used to. Been dragging and dropping as a workaround but I'd prefer not to.

ok then how do you paste mulitple tracks to multiple different tracks assuming you're not using folders? .

I don't know if you can do that.... in Logic, copy and paste seems to work where if you have one region, it can go anywhere but if you have several on different tracks, they go to the same tracks at the current SPL position.

That being said, if you do c and p from one folder to another, it seems to work best if you select one track from any of the group of tracks that you're pasted to before you do the pasting. Otherwise, weird things can happen and the tracks end up not where you expect or sometimes gone even! Don't know why but that's the solution I came up with. And make sure the SPL is set at the right place too.