Drive/partition can not be used for audio recording [SOLVED]

thekish

OK then it's something to do with that drive. Odd, I'd think any drive formatted Mac OS X Extended shouldn't give you any problems. By the way do not select "Journaled" for your media drive, only for your system drive.

Can you tell us a bit more about that drive? How is it connected, how fast is it, etc..?

It's a Western Digital My Passport 250 GB USB 2.0. I couldn't find any info on the disk speed.

3 reasons that's a bad choice for recording audio:

1) USB interface is too slow

2) It's a small, portable drive

3) 5,400rpm is quite slow

I would highly recommend you get a FW800 7,200rpm full size drive to record audio to. Or even better, an eSATA drive with an eSATA card if you need the extra speed.

Still I'm not sure why it wouldn't allow you to record audio onto that drive at all.

Do you have multiple volumes on that drive or just one? When you erased it using the Disk Utility, you only created one volume, correct?

Did you try to create a new empty project with one mono audio track, save it to the newly Mac OS X Extended (not journaled) drive, then press the rec-arm button?

3 reasons that's a bad choice for recording audio:

1) USB interface is too slow

2) It's a small, portable drive

3) 5,400rpm is quite slow

I would highly recommend you get a FW800 7,200rpm full size drive to record audio to. Or even better, an eSATA drive with an eSATA card if you need the extra speed.

Still I'm not sure why it wouldn't allow you to record audio onto that drive at all.

Do you have multiple volumes on that drive or just one? When you erased it using the Disk Utility, you only created one volume, correct?

Did you try to create a new empty project with one mono audio track, save it to the newly Mac OS X Extended (not journaled) drive, then press the rec-arm button?

it did actually record and save to my external. It would just keep telling me it couldn't when I'd arm a track, and make me specify the recording path. But after telling it to record to the external, it saved to the right folder. So all the audio and the project file itself was there, and I could open it from my external and it would all be there. It just tells me that it can't (for every single track I try to arm) and I have to specify the audio files folder on the external in the project folder (for every track I try to arm).

The external I have now isn't ideal, but I get far fewer "System overload or disk too slow" messages when using my external 5400 rpm usb 2.0 drive than when I try to use my 7200 rpm internal drive (it's a Seagate 500 GB). This was happening when I tried recording 7 drum mics at once. When recording to the internal, I got that message every few seconds.

I did try creating a new project with one audio track, saved it to the newly formatted Mac OS Extended external drive, and the same thing would happen when I record armed a track.

The external has only 1 volume on it.

I would go and get a new external, but I want to make sure Logic won't pull the same thing. My drive should work (though it's not ideal) and logic DOES record to it. It's annoying though when I try to arm 7 tracks and have to specify a recording path for each one. And then if the tracks become un-armed when I'm doing something else, I have to do the whole thing again.

It's annoying, and you shouldn't have to deal with it (I personally have never experienced that). Apparently the problem is tied to that drive because you can't reproduce it in your tests recording to the internal.

Unless you can borrow another external from someone else, try to buy an external from some place which will let you return it, so you can test it before committing to the purchase.

Best of luck to you and please keep this thread updated with your results!

It's annoying, and you shouldn't have to deal with it (I personally have never experienced that). Apparently the problem is tied to that drive because you can't reproduce it in your tests recording to the internal.

Unless you can borrow another external from someone else, try to buy an external from some place which will let you return it, so you can test it before committing to the purchase.

I'll try that, though I'll have to get an eSATA drive and adapter card cause my macbook pro only has one firewire slot, and I use that with my audio interfaces. Thanks for your help and sticking with this thread.

I'll try that, though I'll have to get an eSATA drive and adapter card cause my macbook pro only has one firewire slot, and I use that with my audio interfaces. Thanks for your help and sticking with this thread.

With the right HD, you should be able to daisy-chain your interface with the drive. Regardless, the move to eSATA may be more desirable in the long run, but that's up to you.

For the record, i have 2 Firewire Audio Interfaces, a MOTU and a TC. The software that comes with the MOTU will daisy chain just fine and the software for the TC won't at all. Not about the drives, just the software. I'm considering getting one of the MOTU Hybrid Interfaces, so i can use it in both configurations