Ideas for Dance music?..

Hi Morgan -

I don’t make dance music myself, so I cant offer any specific advice on making dance music. However, the approach I took when I first got logic was to find a song that had elements I liked, and then attempted to recreate from scratch. That was a crash course in learning midi programming, effects use and mixing.

I’d suggest importing a track that appeals to you (but maybe not too complex) from itunes into an audio track. Then attack 8 bars or so at a time. Try to find presets in logic that sound similar to the original sounds on the track (bass, drums, pads, etc). Once you’ve got your version pretty close, take the time to open the instruments you’ve used and try to understand what’s happening within the instrument (ES2, Ultrabeat, etc) for the presets you’ve chosen. Once you feel like you’ve got a pretty good grasp of the instruments and your version of the song, take what you’ve learned and try to apply to your own new creation. If you feel like you’ve become stuck at any point, you can always post your track in the listening booth section of the forum and ask for help/advice with specific elements.

Hopefully this is of some use to you. Other users may have some great tips specifically for dance music, but I really think what I’ve suggested is a good exercise. It certainly cant hurt.

Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan,

As Chimpotle notes start with and 8 bar arrangement.

A good way of getting ideas down is to use Apple Loops - there a lot of drum, bass, lead loops spanning different genres of Dance Music in the Apple Loops collection. Once you have an idea down then you can start to replace the sounds, change drums, add leads, add fx, builds etc.

Once you have your 8 bar idea down you can then start to arrange it...

Hope this helps...

Andy

• 1 month later...

HI Morgan,

Just another tip (came to me over the past couple of weeks). Get an XM/Sirius Satellite Radio. Listen to it as much as you can (Channel = Area). I have one in my truck however; now I'm only 15mins away from the office I don't really get an opportunity to listen to it much. So, a couple of weeks ago I bought another one for my office. Its now on for most of the day and i get a lot of ideas just from listening to tracks that fall into the genres I like.

May work for you too....

Andy

• 1 month later...

Ok I am very much into dance music. Hard House, Hard uplifting trance, Hard NRG and most forms of Hard Dance.

It really depends on what style you want to make. You need to listen to as much as you can. I have been listening to Hard Dance since I was 14.....(almost 21 years ago lol) and Dj'd Hard House for many years. So it was a natural progression for me to make Harder stuff. I studied music at school and played drums for about 9 years as a kid also. So big pounding drums is music to my ears lol. I have 1 track released so far and my 2nd is only weeks away. To be honest I dont like my 1st too much as the sound quality is poor but was done on a dying PC with FL Studio.....but it works in the clubs so the guys wanted to release it :)

So listen to what really touches you emotionally. Thats the stuff you want to make so you really put everything into it.

And my biggest piece of advice is to be patient because it takes a lot of time to learn and create. Just practice, practice, practice...your gonna make a lot of rubbish to start with so just keep trying. Also try to learn to program plugins right from the start so you create your own sounds.

Once you decide what style your going with the let us know :)

And my biggest piece of advice is to be patient because it takes a lot of time to learn and create. Just practice, practice, practice...your gonna make a lot of rubbish to start with so just keep trying. Also try to learn to program plugins right from the start so you create your own sounds.

Very good advice - weirdly enough I'm trying to learn minimal/tech house atm. Considering it's towards the top of the list for simplicity (compared to other EDM genres) For me it appears to be the toughest to get my head around....

^^ LOL Im sure its just as hard as any other genre. They all have their own unique sound and style in place. You have to practice hard to crack that code.

Im only just getting the principle of mass layering for hard house/trance/nrg.

I used to be frightened of putting too much stuff in and wasted so much time trying to make a massive sounding synth lead with one plugin and one setting and way too much effects. Until I finally found a great tutorial done by one of UK's great hard dance producers. He did a remix of Oxygen by Jean Michel Jarre and had 60+ layers!!! Now I have finally started using 3-4+ synths together with various effects throughout them for that 1 massive sound. Was so happy when I 1st did that :) I have no one to show me anything so everything I have to try, fail, try, fail, research research research try fail lol

So yeah.....just keep going and going even when ya making the worst sounding stuff possible...you will just all of a sudden accidentally make it sound good and tadaaa :)