Notation problem - Noteheads stacked rather than in sequence

joshuac

Hello. The "A" that is currently on beat two should be part of the triplet starting on the first beat. It should be G, E, C, A with the last two notes in the triplet (C and A) being sixteenth notes. Instead, it is moved to beat 2. I have the quantizing on 16,24. Also, the A and E on the stem just before beat 4 should be part of a 16th note triplet. Any help would be appreciated.

Music_Notation.jpg.1913e2206a407321ab918af23082ae25.jpg

Double-click on the triplet and check "allow double values". See if that works.

If it doesn't it's a likely an indication that your score editor Quantize parameter is set incorrectly (should be a higher value to accommodate 16th triplets, which in this case would be a setting of 16/24).

To help solve the problem also let us know how you are actually inputting the notes.

Also whether you are playing them in or inputting them by hand, I find it works best to switch off "Interpretation" in the Score Inspector and keep a careful check of the real length and position of the midi notes in the Piano Roll. Also make sure that the grid is set to the division that is the basic lowest rhythmic division of your music.

Also make sure you have familiarised yourself with the N - tuplet options for making a triplet

HTH

M S

I have been entering in the notes manually in the Piano Roll editor. Interpretation is off. Quantization is set to 16/24. Here is a screenshot of what I've entered. What I think it should look like is 2 eighth notes and 2 sixteenths all beamed together with a triplet (3) sign above them.

Piano_Roll.jpg.19be8826415af5ecdd139e55d9009983.jpg

Greetings - I had a go at your problem and I think this is what you want?

Not quite sure how I got it but I fiddled with two things which made a difference:

1 - Your note length in the Piano Roll - I think you need to put full notes as I have done, then Logic can relate to it

2 - Also you need to double click the Tuplet and set it as per my example

Good luck

MS

PS I dont understand the second part of your problem but have a go at clarifying and perhaps we can solve it

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo82/dogliege/Picture1-7.png

Well, you got some great tips on how to solve this. A couple of comments....

It is possible you have a doubled or hidden note affecting that rhythm. Check in the event list for this.

I have occasionally had success by changing the grid in the piano roll to something that allows me to snap to. This grid is affected by the transport's division setting. MusicSpirit did this (set to 24) and it's clear in his screen shot. Make sure you try that setting. (In fact all his screenshots are great tips)

If the quantize value in Arrange is set to 24 or 16/24, and "Allow Half Values" is on for the tuplet, it should end up right, even if the division value is set to 16.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=31%26section=8%26tasks=true

"Allow Double Values: If this option is selected, N-tuplets can contain note values that are twice as long as the regular tuplet value.

Allow Half Values: If this option is selected, N-tuplets can contain note values that are half the length of the regular tuplet value."

If interpretation mode is off for that region, and you insert a manual *rest* where the first 1/16 note triplet should have been if there was one, it works here. That position seems to be 1 3 3 81.

Logic sometimes needs to be told that a triplet intentionally is a triplet - if pauses are involved... even if all the notes are at perfect triplet positions.

Switching off Interpretation mode for a whole region can alter other bars, of course, but it's best to have interpretation mode off for regions needing this kind of special treatment. If this means a lot of work (eg. if other bars will end up wrong with I-mode off), you can always use the Scissors tool and isolate that bar and give it the parameters and treatment it needs.

1669151031_Screenshot2011-02-14at21_36_47.png.3c8c6439a9903320a3f44f4f23d5f7fd.png

hi again joshuac.. just to say Doug and Flowerpower have reminded me of a few key things which one needs to get one's head around for the Score Editor triplet/tuplet thing:

1 - Insertion of a manual *rest* .. as FP says Logic sometimes needs to be told this

2 - Interpretation Off for that particular region. This is often the best way to really get the Score accurate. And cutting regions up with different Staff Styles to suit that region's rhythmic needs.

3 - Doug's suggestion about the grid in the Piano Roll be accurately set to the lowest division of the music at that point - something that all the notes can snap too

Another thing that occurs to me is that we do not know the tempo and idiom of your piece of music - perhaps there is a more accurate way of interpreting what you want musically - not knowing the level of your experience as a composer/writer with due respect ;)

If FP's version of your score is correct - it does not make sense to my ears musically to hear the first beat with triplet ( and its two quavers and then semi quavers) and then later in the same bar to have a 16th feel ( ie with a quaver and two semi quavers on one beat)...

.. though I could be talking complete rubbish and that may be musically exactly what you intend!

It would be great to have a snippet of the music posted in a Logic document as FP suggests

good luck

MS