How do you assign faders to control controller data?

Soundhound

I'm wanting to automate the mixers inside Garritan GPO and JBBO (ARIA) and Kontakt4. I'm told that it can work, all I need to do is assign the faders in the logic mixer to the right controller #. Anybody know how to do that: How do you assign a fader, (or panpot etc) to a particular controller #?

thanks!

I tried this. I moved the fader in the Kontakt mixer I want to control. Then I hit cmd-l, but that brought up the Controller Assignments panel. I then moved the fader in the Logic Mixer that I want to be the controller, but nothing happened. Is that Controller Assignments panel supposed to come up, or, as you suggest, the fader or pot should just 'learn' the assignment without that panel?

Move the control in the plugin or channel strip that you want to assign, hit cmd-L, move the knob, slider, switch, pedal, key, wheel, joystick or whatever midi controller you wish to assign to it, and done!

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/controlsurfacessupport/index.html#chapter=2%26section=3%26tasks=true

I tried this. I moved the fader in the Kontakt mixer I want to control. Then I hit cmd-l, but that brought up the Controller Assignments panel. I then moved the fader in the Logic Mixer that I want to be the controller, but nothing happened.

You misunderstood. You cannot (re-)assign Logic functions to those parameters, you can only assign external MIDI controllers (keyboard, control surface etc) this way. And the shortcut is cmd-L, not cmd-I.

Ah, my apologies, I think I was hearing what I wanted to hear! Sorry. So there's no way to get faders inside Logic to control faders in a plugin's mixer?Well, that single fader on my midi keyboard better get to the gym, it's about to do a lot of work!

Thanks again.

I tried this. I moved the fader in the Kontakt mixer I want to control. Then I hit cmd-l, but that brought up the Controller Assignments panel. I then moved the fader in the Logic Mixer that I want to be the controller, but nothing happened.

You misunderstood. You cannot (re-)assign Logic functions to those parameters, you can only assign external MIDI controllers (keyboard, control surface etc) this way. And the shortcut is cmd-L, not cmd-I.

• 3 years later...
So there's no way to get faders inside Logic to control faders in a plugin's mixer?

You can draw in the ARIA's mixer values/movements using MIDI CC#7 with MIDI Draw. This is due to version 10.0.7's new feature: A new MIDI Project Setting allows MIDI CC 7 (volume) and MIDI CC 10 (pan) messages to control the instrument plug-in instead of the channel strip.