Quickly Turning Region Loops Into Editable Copies

Darren Burgos

Turning looping regions into real "editable" copies.

So your working on the arrangement of a song and you want to make a change to a specific looping region, but then have it continue looping the region before the one you changed. (drum rolls, bass line changes, chord mods, etc).

You can do this with the Pencil tool!

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/tip3shot1.png

When you have the pencil tool, option click on a looping region and it will turn into a real editable region. What I'll normally do, is turn the loop AFTER the part I want to change into a real copy FIRST, then the region I want to change. I do this so the region will continue to loop as normal after the region I make the change to. For some reason Logic thinks the loop after your edited one shouldn't keep looping, so you have to click it and simply hit "L" for loop so it continues to loop as normal.

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/tip3shot2.png

Try this trick, you'll be hooked!

To learn more Electronic & Dance Music production techniques in Logic Pro, check out the Electronic & Dance Music Production in Logic Pro class I teach for Logic Pro Help.

Control + L changes ALL the regions into real copies, and you have to select the original region to accomplish this...you might want to do this. Also, with the Marquee Tool you still have to switch back to the Pointer Tool to click so the region becomes a real copy...If you don't want to switch tools, you could just press "M" (Mute) twice...I do like that it makes the region after a new copy automatically.

There are tons of ways to do the same thing in Logic. The Pencil + Option Click method has been in Logic logic forever (long before the Marquee Tool existed), so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

If you don't want to switch tools, you could just press "M" (Mute) twice...I do like that it makes the region after a new copy automatically.

I have to say, I like that method a lot. To someone like me who's using the Pointer as my main tool, the Marquee as my second tool, that makes the whole process really fast.

If your cmd click tool is the marquee tool & your pointer is the standard tool then it's as fast as a quick thing - no tool switching necessary :wink:

That would be the fastest if only it didn't create an extra region before the one you want to edit. Not sure why it does that. Not a big deal, but I'd rather avoid having to look at another region if in fact it's exactly identical to the previous looping region.

This is good brainstorming! :D

Control + L changes ALL the regions into real copies, and you have to select the original region to accomplish this...you might want to do this.

I actually replied when your topic was just a thread title & the first post was just blank.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...